Amazon telemedicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheLoneWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Amazon likely getting into primary care this summer. Would be interesting to see how it goes. Cornering the insured market leaving complex medicare and medicaid patients for the university and hospital owned practices like the trend of ortho taking their well insured patients to the ASC they have stake in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Probably terribly judging by how low these teledoc companies pay people to see a patient.

So people will now be able to shop Amazon until they find an NP willing to treat whatever illness the consumer has decided they have. Thank goodness I am not too far from retirement SMDH.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I learned today of e-ICU...tele ICU. sounds dangerous.
I'm sure AMC'S like $h#tstar will volunteer their anesthesia docs to answer any emergencies (airways, lines, IV therapy). One more bargaining chip in their presentation to administrators.

I looked at a physician job posting from them out of curiosity and it was ridiculous. Made it sound like you had to compete to show how eager you were to make their program succeed and be figuring out ways to motivate the team to exceed goals and also work random shifts at all hours and be cool with that like I was applying for a tech job with 1000 other candidates. I can only imagine bottom of the barrel taking a job with them and hopefully it fast but given the infinite amount of money behind it I worry they'll kill off many private practices along the way.

I looked at a physician job posting from them out of curiosity and it was ridiculous. Made it sound like you had to compete to show how eager you were to make their program succeed and be figuring out ways to motivate the team to exceed goals and also work random shifts at all hours and be cool with that like I was applying for a tech job with 1000 other candidates. I can only imagine bottom of the barrel taking a job with them and hopefully it fast but given the infinite amount of money behind it I worry they'll kill off many private practices along the way.

I think these type of jobs along with others like Teladoc are mostly side gigs for additional income on top of a primary job. Would be a good fit for hospitalists with 7on/7off schedules.

Last edited:
I think these type of jobs along with others like Teladoc are mostly side gigs for additional income on top of a primary job. Would be a good fit for hospitalists with 7on/7off schedules.
It is unclear but I think they expect full time work. Anyone doing fulltime telemedicine is probably going to become a crap doctor.

Of particular note:
  • Recognizes clinical situations that are best managed using a bio-psychosocial orientation rather than a bio-medical orientation. Employ the orientation most appropriate for the presenting clinical condition. [WTF does this even mean?]
  • Delivers patient care in high priority content areas as determined by leadership to further organizational interests. For example, such high priority content areas may include behavioral health, neck and back pain, travel health, preventive care, or care targeting a range of common chronic conditions. [Can't manage chronic conditions if Im working part time in an episodic manner...]
  • Demonstrates ability to adapt as needed to change processes and practice in an evolving, ambiguous environment. [So my job is to also fix the telehealth process in addition to delivering telehealth services?]
  • Delivers at least one teaching/in-service presentation and one evidence-based practice project annually. [Don't suppose Im going to get paid for prep and delivering this am I?]

Reactions: 1 users
I learned today of e-ICU...tele ICU. sounds dangerous.

Used for nighttime coverage in community shops without overnight intensivists, it's ok. Maybe a little better than rousing the attending out of his/her slumber with a 2am phone call since the teledocs are awake and have the EMR in front of them. Procedures handled by the MLP