AMCAS 08 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phyozo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a quick question:

When we're entering in our courses and it says "course name", is it refering to the name of the course as the school refers to (and as it appears on the transcript), or the general english name of the course?

For example...I go to UCSD and on our transcripts it says something like "CHEM 6A", which is general chemistry I. But would you write "chem 6a" or general chemistry I on the area asking for course name?

Members don't see this ad.

For example...I go to UCSD and on our transcripts it says something like "CHEM 6A", which is general chemistry I. But would you write "chem 6a" or general chemistry I on the area asking for course name?

You write CHEM 6A in the field for the course number and General Chemistry I in the field for the course name.

I go to UCSB. That's how everyone has said to do it.

hmm...I considered that, but in the help documents, it talks about writing the "last several digits" in the course number so I assumed that that is the actual course ID number we use to enroll in classes, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
but it also stipulates to do that only in cases where there are more than the allotted numbers, which must be an exception or they would just let it have that many slots?

in any case, the place to ask is your registrar or career center. they probably have a printed guide.

the actual course ID number we use to enroll in classes, no?

You mean like the call number? I don't think that would have any meaning to AMCAS. I think the course number would either be 6A and you mark chemistry as the area of study or Chem 6A

hey all...just to comment, i heard from someone that if the course if chem 6a - general chemistry, then put "6a" in the number box and put "general chemistry" in the name box

not sure if it makes any difference tho as im sure they'll pick things up in the verification process?

hmm...I will try asking the career services after the weekend is over...but does anyone who has filled out the amcas before have an idea? thanks!

I have the same question. For say "Chem 111A - General chemstry", is the course number "111A" or "Chem 111A"?
Thanks

I have the same question. For say "Chem 111A - General chemstry", is the course number "111A" or "Chem 111A"?
Thanks

You guys should call AMCAS, they are very helpful.:)

:confused: hey does anyone know how to list nursing courses? Are they considered health sciences? We need a sticky of just amcas questions. That way everyone can see what everyone else has asked so we are not all asking the same questions. It would also be nice to see how others are doing things.

another question for you guys. On the work/activites section how did you list out multiple things. I just had to make a "other employment" section and in the description box put in all the stuff that happend leading up to what I am now.

Then as I have been on several missions trips I just put them all together under the descriptions box with dates, etc.

Is is this bad?? I have no idea what I am doing:confused:

:confused: hey does anyone know how to list nursing courses? Are they considered health sciences? We need a sticky of just amcas questions. That way everyone can see what everyone else has asked so we are not all asking the same questions. It would also be nice to see how others are doing things.

another question for you guys. On the work/activites section how did you list out multiple things. I just had to make a "other employment" section and in the description box put in all the stuff that happend leading up to what I am now.

Then as I have been on several missions trips I just put them all together under the descriptions box with dates, etc.

hmmm...I think you're suppose to group similiar things together into one section; going on several missions trips with the dates sounds like something I'd do; I don't really know how else you might be able to convey that more accurately than what you've done.

Nursing courses are considered health sciences...there is an instruction book on the amcas site that list what type of courses go in which category

:confused: another question for you guys. On the work/activites section how did you list out multiple things. I just had to make a "other employment" section and in the description box put in all the stuff that happend leading up to what I am now.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=5104374#post5104374
i started this thread b/c i also didnt know how to list multiple activities which were basically the same thing (i.e. working in the same lab continuing the same project over three years). The consensus was list it as one and write the dates below.
check out the responses though maybe youll get some answers like i did
ppl on this site r really helpful and respond pretty quick!