amcas A+ --> A?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
they tend not to be prestigious colleges

actually Rice gives A+'s...I have a few...but I think it is pointless.

last time I checked Rice was very prestigious...but whatever

Penn gives them out too

Members don't see this ad.

lol kkkkk lets just stop this here, you guys made a point, can we just drop this which school gives A+ topic and go back to the OPs post lol

wow...i was kidding...you guys really thought AMCAS gave me a GPA boost??

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm all for A+s to be given out. In the ideal world, this would help distinguish between people -- but it would work best if the rest of the range of grades was thoroughly used, as well. I mean, if a prof only wanted to give out A-s, As, and A+s, that'd be stupid, might as well just give out B+s, A-s, and As, but if a prof actually wanted to buck the grade inflation trend and give out all sorts of marks from Fs to Ds to Cs to Bs to As, then having an extra category of A+ would help expand the range of marks even further.

From a student perspective, I like letter grades, and small ranges of grades, because then I only have to work hard enough to get an A and no harder -- however, if I were an adcomm I'd probably wish that all schools operated on a percentage system, because that allows for even greater differentiation between candidates. That being said, GPA is clearly flawed even for percentages because standards vary so much from institution to institution, prof to prof, that comparing a 87% in a class with one prof in one uni to a 86% elsewhere is impossible, really. Can't say which is better.

But in the ideal world, I think expanding the range of grades to include A+s and utilize the full spectrum of grades right down to F, that'd probably be one of the best. Right now I'm at a post-graduate program that only *can* give 10 different marks (but most end up falling in a range of 3), and you might think that that is more than enough but no, not really. If you have even just 20 essays to mark, chances are that at a certain point you'll wish you could give intermediate, half-X/half-Y marks, and even just as a student I know that if I got Z on a paper and someone else also got Z, chances are there's still a big difference between my paper and his that is just unaccounted for.

excuse me?

maybe that's how it is in the states. but getting at an a+ at the university of toronto (canada) is no small feat. we don't have the sort of grade inflation some of you guys do. we have very specific grade distributios that most of our courses follow (e..g, no more than x percent of the class can get As and Bs).

I go to UofT also so I can verify this. Many of my professors have said IN CLASS that no more than 20% of the class can get more than a B. And class averages are routinely in the C- to C range

Yes, we get A+s. And I can tell you from experience that A) you have to work your butt off to get them and B) not many people actually do get them. And last time I checked, U of T was fairly "prestigious". Good luck with your application bananaboat.

Schools do see A+ on AMCAS, FYI.

please dont turn a bit of sarcasm into your normal prestiege trolling...

(looks up at thread)

...oh, too late, nevermind. Carry on then.

When you learn how to spell then maybe people will listen to you.

Wow, luckily I caught this early. So, A+'s do not count. I will definetely relax a bit more.

Good thing AdComs get to decide who gets in and not pre-meds. Things turn into a pissing contest about what school is better, who went to the better undergrad, who got the better grades, who's a gunner, who got how many C's, faster than anything I've ever seen.

Good thing AdComs get to decide who gets in and not pre-meds. Things turn into a pissing contest about what school is better, who went to the better undergrad, who got the better grades, who's a gunner, who got how many C's, faster than anything I've ever seen.

Wait, that doesn't translate into better patient care?

lol i so agreee with this haha, lets all just be happy and enjoy thanks giving

i got my AMCAS verified today...every single one of my A+s was converted to an A...does this happen to a lot of people? is it worth getting the academic request in? whether i have an A or A+ does not change my GPA i dont think, but...still i have a lot of A+s on my transcript, and they were a result of a lot more hardwork. do med schools look at the letter grades or just the GPA?

Most schools don't have A+. As long as your GPA isn't influenced by the changes, it shouldn't matter.