AMCAS Activities - Listing Hours and Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful324

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

For those of you who have already submitted your primary app
1) How many hours/what dates did you report for your hobbies?
2) For hours in general, did you list only completed hours, or did you estimate future hours as well?
3) Where did you draw the line between non-clinical volunteering and extracurricular activity? - ex) Would mentoring underserved youth be considered non-clinical volunteering?
4) Can I choose what I want to categorize an activity as if it falls under 2 categories?
- ex) Teaching underserved youth through a science program

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those of you who have already submitted your primary app
1) How many hours/what dates did you report for your hobbies?
2) For hours in general, did you list only completed hours, or did you estimate future hours as well?
3) Where did you draw the line between non-clinical volunteering and extracurricular activity? - ex) Would mentoring underserved youth be considered non-clinical volunteering?
4) Can I choose what I want to categorize an activity as if it falls under 2 categories?
- ex) Teaching underserved youth through a science program
1) Either the actual year they started or alternatively, only your involvement during the college years that adcomms will care most about. Give a best-faith estimate of total hours, or just enter a 999 and state in the narrative that the hours are unknowable.

2) You can list both, but I suggest you differentiate between completed and future hours in some way.

3) Mentoring youth as a volunteer could be listed under either Community Service or Teaching. You get the choice of what balances your application best.

4) Yes.

1) Either the actual year they started or alternatively, only your involvement during the college years that adcomms will care most about. Give a best-faith estimate of total hours, or just enter a 999 and state in the narrative that the hours are unknowable.

2) You can list both, but I suggest you differentiate between completed and future hours in some way.

3) Mentoring youth as a volunteer could be listed under either Community Service or Teaching. You get the choice of what balances your application best.

4) Yes.

Thank you so much for your answers!

How would you suggest differentiating between the two? At the moment, I'm thinking of entering current dates (through June 2016) with current total hours, but listing in the description that I will be continuing until a certain date (lets say June 2017) for a certain number of hours a week. Is this sufficient?

Members don't see this ad :)
How would you suggest differentiating between the two? At the moment, I'm thinking of entering current dates (through June 2016) with current total hours, but listing in the description that I will be continuing until a certain date (lets say June 2017) for a certain number of hours a week. Is this sufficient?
Yes, that works fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!

Also, for awards, would it be appropriate to use the description written on a university website?