AMCAS and AP courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jochi1543

President, Gunner Central
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I just enter my AP grades into the fall of my freshman year schedule? They don't show up on my transcript, but show up on my academic audit and ARE factored into my school's GPA for me....I did get transfer credit and grades for them...you just can't see them in any semester.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I put them in for the year that I took the course (which was a year before attending college). There should be a spot to indicate that the courses were advanced placement, and you will need to get a transcript from the university that gave you credit for the course. (I didn't initially and it held up my application)
I put my CLEP credits in my freshman year section.

Read the AMCAS instructions. They are quite explicit in how to treat AP scores. Just make sure that the school's you're applying to will accept AP credits. You don't have to submit the scores to AMCAS, at least as far as I can remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I put them in for the year that I took the course (which was a year before attending college). There should be a spot to indicate that the courses were advanced placement, and you will need to get a transcript from the university that gave you credit for the course. (I didn't initially and it held up my application)
I put my CLEP credits in my freshman year section.
OK, I figured it out, I should leave it as freshman year. That's quite nice, actually, I had a crappy semester fall of freshman year, so that A in AP Calc AB will make me a tad more presentable.:) 3.08 ----> 3.26

OK, I figured it out, I should leave it as freshman year. That's quite nice, actually, I had a crappy semester fall of freshman year, so that A in AP Calc AB will make me a tad more presentable.:) 3.08 ----> 3.26

Unfortunately you won't get grades for them - they'll just show up as credits, they won't be part of your GPA (or they weren't for me).

For example my Calculus AP looks like this on my AMCAS:

Year: 2001
Term: OT
Course Classification: Math
Course Name: AP Credit: Calculus AB
Course Number: ADV PLACEMENMATH AB
Credit Hours: 2.70
Transcript Grade:

Unfortunately you won't get grades for them - they'll just show up as credits, they won't be part of your GPA (or they weren't for me).

For example my Calculus AP looks like this on my AMCAS:

Transcript Grade:
Really? I have a few APs, and the ones I had As in, I have an A on my college transcript. The ones I had Bs in, I just got an "S" (pass....i.e., they accepted the credits, but didn't accept the grades). So I'm sure the "S" ones won't show up as grades, but I don't see why the ones with the As wouldn't, considering they are showing up as "Math XXX - Calculus I - A" and the like on my college transcript.

Really? I have a few APs, and the ones I had As in, I have an A on my college transcript. The ones I had Bs in, I just got an "S" (pass....i.e., they accepted the credits, but didn't accept the grades). So I'm sure the "S" ones won't show up as grades, but I don't see why the ones with the As wouldn't, considering they are showing up as "Math XXX - Calculus I - A" and the like on my college transcript.

I thought you said they aren't on your transcript in your original post?

Ok, found it. On AMCAS Instructions. http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf

• Courses with the AMCAS grades listed below are not included in the GPA
calculations. Instead, the total hours for each of these categories are reported
to the schools under the heading "Supplementary Hours."
-Pass/Fail - Pass
-Pass/Fail - Fail
-AP Credit
-CLEP Credit
Sorry, but at least now you know.

I thought you said they aren't on your transcript in your original post?
Yeah, it's kinda weird, they are not in the unofficial transcript, but they ARE in my Academic Audit....I hope other people's schools have AA, too, because I have no idea how to explain what it is.:laugh:

Oh well, bummer! But at least I only found out about the potential hike today, so now I'm not TOO disappointed....however, had I thought that my AP was gonna count all the way, I would've been pretty POd right now.:laugh:

Yeah, it's kinda weird, they are not in the unofficial transcript, but they ARE in my Academic Audit....I hope other people's schools have AA, too, because I have no idea how to explain what it is.:laugh:

yeah i have never heard of that one.

I am a bit confused now. So if my university gives me AP credit, but I don't really use it for anything, it is just on my university transcript, do I still need to report it on my AMCAS?

Or can I completely ignore it?

I am a bit confused now. So if my university gives me AP credit, but I don't really use it for anything, it is just on my university transcript, do I still need to report it on my AMCAS?

Yes, you have to report it because your university gave you transfer units for it that presumably affected your standing and allowed you to skip past classes if you chose to.

AMCAS says to record AP classes with the number of units that your transcript shows you getting and to record them as university freshmen courses. College courses during high school, however, should be recorded as taken in high school.

My school has my AP tests listed at the top of my transcript along with the 1-5 score i got on the test and how many credits I was awarded. Some of them also list a specific course that the AP test counts for, while others are just general credits.

For academic year should i put the year i took the test (as in my junior or senior year of high school) or just my first year of college.

For transcript grade, should I put my AP score (1-5) or should I just leave it blank?

Also, i have 39 credits worth of AP tests, so at some point during that AP week i became a sophomore. Should i get ridiculous and try to chronologically determine which test made me a sophomore, or should i just consider myself a freshman for all 39 credits?

For academic year should i put the year i took the test (as in my junior or senior year of high school) or just my first year of college.

The answer is right above you. It seems ridiculous to quote myself, but:

record AP classes with the number of units that your transcript shows you getting and to record them as university freshmen courses.

For transcript grade, should I put my AP score (1-5) or should I just leave it blank?

The answer to this question is also found in this thread.

Calculus AP looks like this on my AMCAS:

Transcript Grade:

Follow alwaysaangel's example and leave the transcript grade blank. AMCAS will fill it in for you later on with their fancy letter codes.