AMCAS and Course Retakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColaLola

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how AMCAS calculates course retakes?

I got a C in Calc I as a freshman. I'm much more mature now and think I can take the class and get an A. At my university, they don't give credit when a course is retaken after getting a passing grade the first time around (D or better). However, does AMCAS do the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a course retaken, and they told me to put in both. My school had the policy that if you are getting an F grade, but you retake the course, they replace the F with R and put the actual grade for the second attempt. AMCAS told me to put both initial attempt with F (even though "F" was not in the transcript) and the B for the second attempt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a course retaken, and they told me to put in both. My school had the policy that if you are getting an F grade, but you retake the course, they replace the F with R and put the actual grade for the second attempt. AMCAS told me to put both initial attempt with F (even though "F" was not in the transcript) and the B for the second attempt.

Did your school calculate your second grade as part of the cumulative?

school - yes. but AMCAS calculated both.

Yea, I read that if your school counts it, then its fine. But if your school doesnt, AMCAS won't. Which I hope is wrong lol

Yea, I read that if your school counts it, then its fine. But if your school doesnt, AMCAS won't. Which I hope is wrong lol
I am just telling you what happened to me ... amcas counted it like two separate courses , even though my school replaces the grade in school transcripts