AMCAS and Course Retakes

ColaLola

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Does anyone know how AMCAS calculates course retakes?

I got a C in Calc I as a freshman. I'm much more mature now and think I can take the class and get an A. At my university, they don't give credit when a course is retaken after getting a passing grade the first time around (D or better). However, does AMCAS do the same?

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
I had a course retaken, and they told me to put in both. My school had the policy that if you are getting an F grade, but you retake the course, they replace the F with R and put the actual grade for the second attempt. AMCAS told me to put both initial attempt with F (even though "F" was not in the transcript) and the B for the second attempt.

About the Ads

ColaLola

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
I had a course retaken, and they told me to put in both. My school had the policy that if you are getting an F grade, but you retake the course, they replace the F with R and put the actual grade for the second attempt. AMCAS told me to put both initial attempt with F (even though "F" was not in the transcript) and the B for the second attempt.

Did your school calculate your second grade as part of the cumulative?

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
  1. Medical Student
Yea, I read that if your school counts it, then its fine. But if your school doesnt, AMCAS won't. Which I hope is wrong lol
I am just telling you what happened to me ... amcas counted it like two separate courses , even though my school replaces the grade in school transcripts

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
How do you know. Like where's the guide?

AMCAS GUIDE RETAKES
If no grade appears on your transcript and you have not received a grade, a grade entry is not required unless the course has been subsequently repeated or removed because of academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies. For the initial attempt of a course that has been repeated or removed because of academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies, enter the original grade earned before the course was repeated, regardless of whether it appears on the official transcript or is included in your GPA. Failure to enter the original grade received for repeated courses can lead to returned applications, missed deadlines, and forfeited fees

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.