AMCAS and Research Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishlaydi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI All, I am re-applying this year. Last year on my AMCAS i included several research publications and conference poster presentations in the Post-secondary experiences section. Any advice as to whether I should do this again when re-applying??? THANKS :)

Members don't see this ad.

I really think it depends on where you are applying. Schools known for their research (ie the big names) will probably like that more than a state school geared towards generating GP's and Primary Care docs.

I got totally rejected by a school for this reason I suspect, even though my MCAT was many points higher than their average. My adcom member/interviewer told me this, and I thought the interview with him went great!

I guess I'd try to balance it out and put maybe one or two of your top research pubs. You want to try to convince them you're right for Med school and not Grad School. I think this is what happened to me (with 4 papers and one poster).

Just my $00.02 USD.

-X

irishlaydi said:
HI All, I am re-applying this year. Last year on my AMCAS i included several research publications and conference poster presentations in the Post-secondary experiences section. Any advice as to whether I should do this again when re-applying??? THANKS :)

irishlaydi said:

Assuming it is medicine related, I would. It shows that you have been successful in your work/research.

Members don't see this ad :)
6 of my 11 EC's were publication/poster related. I included them because they are signficant accomplishments for me. However, to balence things out a bit, I focused heavily on non-science related experiences throughout my PS. I figured I didn't need to go into detail about my research, since it was already discussed in the EC section.

Let's hope this does the trick!
Nina

nina512 said:
6 of my 11 EC's were publication/poster related. I included them because they are signficant accomplishments for me. However, to balence things out a bit, I focused heavily on non-science related experiences throughout my PS. I figured I didn't need to go into detail about my research, since it was already discussed in the EC section.

Let's hope this does the trick!
Nina

6/11?!? Wow...you must be a labrat. To the original poster, if putting all your research makes you go over the 15 post-secondary experiences, I would just group them all together and put it under 1 experience.

Don't worry, I didn't get all that in undergrad.

I had been working full time as a research tech for 3yrs, then started a Master's program.

nina512 said:
Don't worry, I didn't get all that in undergrad.

I had been working full time as a research tech for 3yrs, then started a Master's program.

All good! :cool:

premed said:
6/11?!? To the original poster, if putting all your research makes you go over the 15 post-secondary experiences, I would just group them all together and put it under 1 experience.

thanks. last year i just put the most important and the posters and well known conferences...i just thought maybe last year i put too much (posters, research pubs, experience). Would it be better to just mention the paper citation in my EC about the research experience??? I'm not quite sure if publications should have their own EC. Also, when u do make a research pub an EC, it is proper to list the full, exact citation of the paper???
if anyone knows i would be grateful. thanks again

irishlaydi said:
thanks. last year i just put the most important and the posters and well known conferences...i just thought maybe last year i put too much (posters, research pubs, experience). Would it be better to just mention the paper citation in my EC about the research experience??? I'm not quite sure if publications should have their own EC. Also, when u do make a research pub an EC, it is proper to list the full, exact citation of the paper???
if anyone knows i would be grateful. thanks again

I'm not an adcom member, but I'll tell you what I did.

If I was an author on the publication, I listed it separately from my research experience (since that was classified as paid employment.)
This is how I listed publications/abstracts

Experience Name/Title: Journal name/Conference Title
Experience Type: Publication/Posters
Organization Name: My place of employment
Experience Description: Full title of publication, brief description (2 sentences) and key findings/significance. my contribution to the study (key experiments I performed)

If I did attend a conference and presented a poster, I listed the two together as "conference attended," then mentioned that I presented an abstract at the conference in the description.

It's great that you've had your work recognized (publications/abstract submissions), so don't be shy about listing it! If you feel like you're being redundant in the description sections, it's probably best to combine a few experiences.

Good Luck
Nina

nina512 said:
I'm not an adcom member, but I'll tell you what I did.

If I was an author on the publication, I listed it separately from my research experience (since that was classified as paid employment.)
This is how I listed publications/abstract...

Good Luck
Nina

Thanks so much! i'm sure i'll be back with more questions :)