AMCAS background check concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbacon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've gone to this site a few times but this is my first time posting. On the way to my interviews in ohio, I received a ticket for going 10 mph over the speed limit. I was searching this site and some people apparently have had issues with ohio speeding tickets with this stage for some reason. In my home state of Pennsylvania, speeding tickets don't count for anything so I wasn't worried about it. However, I was reading a few threads where people said that they were misdemeanors?? I am wondering if I should 1.) indicate this on my background check and/or 2.) update the school where I have been accepted or interviewed at. Ironically enough, the one school that did indicate moving violations on their application was Cincinnati (where I was traveling) and I have already notified them about this ticket, which happened a few months ago. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

A friend in my lab also got a speeding ticket on his way to his interview (different state though)
I'd call the school you have been accepted at for information. Make it clear on the phone that it was just a speeding ticket and ideally get something in writing to make sure you're ok.

I don't know of any state where a simple traffic violation is a criminal offense.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it comes up on your background check, the background check people will notify you first (before it's released). You can then tell the schools and they will almost undoubtedly be cool with a 10 mph moving violation.

Last year I didn't realize that a state I got a ticket in counted it as a misdemeanor, but the background check people told me (I hadn't listed it as a misdemeanor on amcas) and I told schools and it wasn't a thing.

I don't know of any state where a simple traffic violation is a criminal offense.
apparently ohio

If it comes up on your background check, the background check people will notify you first (before it's released). You can then tell the schools and they will almost undoubtedly be cool with a 10 mph moving violation.

Last year I didn't realize that a state I got a ticket in counted it as a misdemeanor, but the background check people told me (I hadn't listed it as a misdemeanor on amcas) and I told schools and it wasn't a thing.
Thanks. Didn't know quite how itworked. Sounds good