AMCAS Calculated GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading over the AMCAS instruction booklet and it said that the GPA calculated by AMCAS is almost never the same as the GPA counted at your school. Does this mean that my 3.78 will drop to a 3.7 or worse? On the other hand, will it rise? Just need to hear some clarity from those who have had it done before. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

USArmyDoc said:
I was just reading over the AMCAS instruction booklet and it said that the GPA calculated by AMCAS is almost never the same as the GPA counted at your school. Does this mean that my 3.78 will drop to a 3.7 or worse? On the other hand, will it rise? Just need to hear some clarity from those who have had it done before. Thanks

I doubt it will drop 0.08 points. For me, my cumulative GPA dropped by 0.01, but my BCPM raised 0.01 (obviously, my non science GPA dropped). It is possible that your GPA will get a boost. My friend had her GPA up by 0.02. So as you can see, it fluctutes by a small margin, not as extreme as your example. Good luck and maybe trying consolidating all your questions to one thread so its easier for people to answer your questions at once. I know its a stressful time right now, but you are ahead of the game if you are starting your AMCAS now.

USArmyDoc said:

They calculate it different. If you have a lot of A+ grades, that might affect it most.

Members don't see this ad :)
MoosePilot said:
They calculate it different. If you have a lot of A+ grades, that might affect it most.

This is so weird! The whole AMCAS gpa thing is bizarre to me. I have two A+'s on my record - my school computes these as normal 4.0's (which is silly, because then there is really no incentive to go for an A+ instead of an A)

Does AMCAS boost that up or down? =D

crazy_cavalier said:
This is so weird! The whole AMCAS gpa thing is bizarre to me. I have two A+'s on my record - my school computes these as normal 4.0's (which is silly, because then there is really no incentive to go for an A+ instead of an A)

They do the same thing your school does.

crazy_cavalier said:

I'm pretty sure you'll never get more than a 4.0 for an A+ for ur AMCAS GPA even if ur school gives u higher than a 4.0

If you get mostly A's then the +/- system will never work in your favor (in terms of your GPA) damn minuses

mine was affected by the way amcas computes credits at my school. ie freshmen and sophmore classes were weighted less than junior class which slightly bumped mine up. i wouldn't worry about it. the difference is slight if any. good luck!

Mine went lower by more than 0.09...partly because i retook a course that i got a C in the first time and got a B+ the second time. My school computed my gpa as a 3.89, but i think AMCAS calculated it as a 3.75

it sucked

unfortunately my non-science will decr b/c they dont recognize A+'s. But it's all good.