AMCAS calculates GPA differently from AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious-doesn't really matter- but AACOMAS calculated my overall GPA to be a 3.71 :D while AMCAS calculates it at 3.5. :mad:
I think this is because of a math class I failed my freshman year and retook and passed with a good grade. I know AMCAS incorporates every grade and doesn't erase it just because you take it and get a better grade.
It would seem that AACOMAS is not including this bad grade because I retook the class. :idea:
Does anyone know AACOMAS policies on classes that are retakes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yposhelley said:
Just curious-doesn't really matter- but AACOMAS calculated my overall GPA to be a 3.71 :D while AMCAS calculates it at 3.5. :mad:
I think this is because of a math class I failed my freshman year and retook and passed with a good grade. I know AMCAS incorporates every grade and doesn't erase it just because you take it and get a better grade.
It would seem that AACOMAS is not including this bad grade because I retook the class. :idea:
Does anyone know AACOMAS policies on classes that are retakes?

Thanks!

From what I know, AACOMAS uses the better grade between the retake and the original attempt to calculate your overall GPA. AMCAS, on the other hand, averages the two attempts and uses that to figure your overall GPA.

This might be a stupid question, but how does AACOMAS calculate the gpa when a certain course was retaken more than once? For example, I took a class in my freshman year and failed it, then I took it again next semester and got a D, then 2 years later I took it again and received an A. So will AACOMAS only consider the best grade that I received in that course (A), or will it average the grades out, or will it only take the grade from the first time I repeated the course(D)?

Members don't see this ad :)
AACOMAS takes the most recent grade of any repeated class. Say you took Calculus 3 times and got a D, a C+ and a C-, in that order. AACOMAS would record only the C-.

Thanks liverotcod-that did answer my questions.

also, AACOMAS does not include your math classes as part of your science gpa.

AMCAS however does include all math classes under your BCPM gpa.

AACOMAS includes all engineering classes as "other science" classes and includes these when calculating your gpa.

AMCAS does not include engineering classes in your BCPM gpa. Engineering classes on AMCAS go towards your AO or "All Others" GPA.

This can cause big differences for people.

PublicEnemy said:
also, AACOMAS does not include your math classes as part of your science gpa.

AMCAS however does include all math classes under your BCPM gpa.

AACOMAS includes all engineering classes as "other science" classes and includes these when calculating your gpa.

AMCAS does not include engineering classes in your BCPM gpa. Engineering classes on AMCAS go towards your AO or "All Others" GPA.

This can cause big differences for people.
Thank you. Where did you find all that information?

I was about to jump in...but you guys did a GREAT job answering...

Thanks All!!!