AMCAS- disadvantaged status for paraplegic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainwelch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The application was pretty vague on what exactly qualifies. A spectacular cycling accident shattered my T5/6 vertebrae three years back, resulting in complete paraplegia. Should I choose disadvantaged status... or not?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a really interesting life experience that will certainly get you noticed especially if you became involved in the paraplegic community but doesn't really fit as disadvantaged, i dont think

ETA: To expand a little bit, the reason why I don't think this counts as being disadvantaged is because the traditional idea expressed on these forums is that disadvantaged is talking about years 0-18. Did you miss out on parts of your childhood because your parents couldn't afford to take you to the zoo, to museums, on fieldtrips, etc? Did you have to work to support your family in high school? Things like that.

This is definitely a topic to have LizzyM and Catalystik stop by to give their opinions though.

Last edited:
Sector9 is correct, that disadvantaged status refers to ages 0-18 only. Did your family receive public assistance funds, did you live in government hoursing, was your medical care paid for by Medicaid or similar programs, did you qualify for the free school lunch program or food stamps, did you work in HS to support your family, what was your total family income, were you a foster child, did you live in an area with few physicians, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that I am on Medicare, and I receive social security disability. Do these factor in to making this decision?

To recap, an applicant can self-identify as "disadvantaged" if there were issues during childhood (0-17 yrs) that left the student at a disadvantage in entering college.

This includes economic hardships (living before poverty line), working to support the household which restricted opportunities for enrichment, poor schools with lack of access to classes which are common at better schools (physics, calculus, etc).