AMCAS EC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevster2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried sifting through the threads but most deal with whether HS stuff can be put on the EC list. Here are my questions

Research: I've had a few different research projects, 2 from 1 lab and 1 from another. Should I be grouping them together in some way or keep them seperated? The research has always been relatively different

Work: I've been a lab assistant in a couple of different labs, should I group that together? If so how do I indicate the dates and contact info?

Is it important to be able to provide contact information? This group I'm in recently lost its faculty sponsor so theres no one to put down for sponsor at the moment. Wil lthis be a problem?

As far as dates go, if it's not a continuous thing (like every summer), how do i note that on the amcas?

How much detail should I go into on the description? Like for research should I just give a brief overview of my research or do I need to talk about what I did etc etc?

Members don't see this ad.

A
kevster2001 said:
Research: I've had a few different research projects, 2 from 1 lab and 1 from another. Should I be grouping them together in some way or keep them seperated? The research has always been relatively different I would group them by lab. Even if it meant two seperate posts. If you had publications or any special accomplishment, list each reasearch seperately.
Work: I've been a lab assistant in a couple of different labs, should I group that together? Can you groups some of this with your research projects? If so how do I indicate the dates and contact info? As far as the date box goes, encompass the entire time span you worked in all the labs. Write something like... From 1/05 to 5/06 I worked in ___lab.... Then if all of the labs are in the same department, list DRs. X, Y, Z and list the main department phone number

Is it important to be able to provide contact information? This group I'm in recently lost its faculty sponsor so theres no one to put down for sponsor at the moment. Wil lthis be a problem? No. I didn't inlcude contact numbers/names for all of my ECs mostly because some of them had moved on by the time I was ready to apply. It is more important that you can actively talk about your activity come interview time.
As far as dates go, if it's not a continuous thing (like every summer), how do i note that on the amcas? List all the years under the date heading i.e 6/02-8/06, then write in your statement...."Each summer for four years, I did ____ ...

How much detail should I go into on the description? Like for research should I just give a brief overview of my research or do I need to talk about what I did etc etc? I wrote briefly about my research subject and then wrote more about what I got out of the experience. I figured if they want to know research details, they will ask at the interview. If you come up with a new technique or something that may be worth mentioning.

Sondra said:

Ok I see, so group them almost by where i did the stuff as oppose to what i did. Since I was a lab assistant and also did actual research in one lab, i would just put it under one heading and list all the things I did in that lab. yeah?

Members don't see this ad :)
kevster2001 said:
Ok I see, so group them almost by where i did the stuff as oppose to what i did. Since I was a lab assistant and also did actual research in one lab, i would just put it under one heading and list all the things I did in that lab. yeah?
Yea. This'll beg the next question: "If I did research and worked and volunteered all in the same lab, what do I list this experience as in the pull-down tab on AMCAS?", to which I answer: List it under the category that you have the least experiences in to make yourself look more rounded.

If I have different reserach entries since its at different labs, do i have to say i learned somethign different each time? My rearch projects bascially taught me one thing, I dont want to do research.

one more question: in my PS i talk about a few of my expriences that ill list again in my EC list. for the EC description shoudl i write something completely new or can i take snippets from my PS? Since basically I was just going tow rite about what I did and what I learned from teh exp that made me want to be a doc

kevster2001 said:
one more question: in my PS i talk about a few of my expriences that ill list again in my EC list. for the EC description shoudl i write something completely new or can i take snippets from my PS? Since basically I was just going tow rite about what I did and what I learned from teh exp that made me want to be a doc

What I actually did to conserve space was to briefly mention the activity in the PS and then delve into more detail in the EC part.