AMCAS GPA problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulanensis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a reapplicant and got my AMCAS verified recently and have a problem. I got an A in a class at my undergrad based on an SAT II score. Last year, AMCAS accepted the A as an A and added it to my GPA. This year they categorized it as "Advanced Placement" and assigned a "G," meaning no credit for grade or hours. I thought that if my university gave me a letter grade, it gets computed into the AMCAS GPA. It certainly did last year. The only reason I care is that it bumps my BCPM from 3.5 to 3.48. The 3.5 is more psychologically appealing to the adcom than a 3.48.

I'm not sure of the official AMCAS policy but if they accepted the grade last year, is it worth it to file an academic change request? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a feeling AMCAS will stick to their guns on this one. Think about it- that A isn't really an A you earned, so why should you get credit for it?

tulanensis said:
Hey guys, I'm a reapplicant and got my AMCAS verified recently and have a problem. I got an A in a class at my undergrad based on an SAT II score. Last year, AMCAS accepted the A as an A and added it to my GPA. This year they categorized it as "Advanced Placement" and assigned a "G," meaning no credit for grade or hours. I thought that if my university gave me a letter grade, it gets computed into the AMCAS GPA. It certainly did last year. The only reason I care is that it bumps my BCPM from 3.5 to 3.48. The 3.5 is more psychologically appealing to the adcom than a 3.48.

I'm not sure of the official AMCAS policy but if they accepted the grade last year, is it worth it to file an academic change request? Thanks!

I did earn an A, albeit through an exam. They have taken it as a letter grade before.

Members don't see this ad :)
tulanensis said:
I did earn an A, albeit through an exam. They have taken it as a letter grade before.

It really can't hurt to try. It's not going to delay the review of your application by the schools. I filed an academic change request. It took about two weeks for them to process it. During this time, I got secondary emails and interview invites. If they deny you, then you're GPA would be the exact same. In the meantime, schools will be able to evaluate your application as it is right now. I really don't think the difference of .02 on your GPA is going to make any difference psychologically, but if it matters that much then you might as well request the change and see what happens.

So if I do the request, my completed application doesn't get pulled from the med school's AMCAS server? In other words, my application is still available to the schools?

tulanensis said:
So if I do the request, my completed application doesn't get pulled from the med school's AMCAS server? In other words, my application is still available to the schools?

yes