1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AMCAS GPA problem!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tulanensis, Aug 7, 2006.

1. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, I'm a reapplicant and got my AMCAS verified recently and have a problem. I got an A in a class at my undergrad based on an SAT II score. Last year, AMCAS accepted the A as an A and added it to my GPA. This year they categorized it as "Advanced Placement" and assigned a "G," meaning no credit for grade or hours. I thought that if my university gave me a letter grade, it gets computed into the AMCAS GPA. It certainly did last year. The only reason I care is that it bumps my BCPM from 3.5 to 3.48. The 3.5 is more psychologically appealing to the adcom than a 3.48.

I'm not sure of the official AMCAS policy but if they accepted the grade last year, is it worth it to file an academic change request? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a feeling AMCAS will stick to their guns on this one. Think about it- that A isn't really an A you earned, so why should you get credit for it?

4. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did earn an A, albeit through an exam. They have taken it as a letter grade before.

5. agr285

agr285 Member
    7+ Year Member

It really can't hurt to try. It's not going to delay the review of your application by the schools. I filed an academic change request. It took about two weeks for them to process it. During this time, I got secondary emails and interview invites. If they deny you, then you're GPA would be the exact same. In the meantime, schools will be able to evaluate your application as it is right now. I really don't think the difference of .02 on your GPA is going to make any difference psychologically, but if it matters that much then you might as well request the change and see what happens.

6. tulanensis

tulanensis Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So if I do the request, my completed application doesn't get pulled from the med school's AMCAS server? In other words, my application is still available to the schools?

7. rajad10

rajad10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yes