AMCAS grade question?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by relentless11, Apr 5, 2001.

1. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    Hi everyone, i'm just wondering how AMCAS calculates grades. Here at UC Davis, they count a B- as say 2.7 points. A B+ is 3.3 points. And an A- is like 3.7 points. Does AMCAS care about +/-'s?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Becket

Becket Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, very much

4. gower

gower 1K Member

In the AAMCAS Instruction Manual there are instructions on how to calculate GPA for the commonest systems of reporting grades at different institutions. My motto: when all else fails, read the instructions. But being male, another rule is: when lost on the road, never ask for help at a service station or of anyone, especially if a woman is present.

5. FSUMED

FSUMED Senior Member

Just a thought...it seems to me that it is unfair for AMCAS to count +/- because not all schools use them. So kids who go to schools that use that system are essentially punished for it. That, to my way of thinking is BAD FORM.

6. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

My school doesn't use them, so I guess I get off easy when calculating my GPA. I do feel that this system punishes me when a grade was really an A+, but you can't beat it when a grade is really and A-! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by jamier2 (edited April 06, 2001).]

7. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus

Pre-Medical
    I guess it works either way, an A- here is a 3.7, which isn't fun, since it feels like its mocking you..haha. You almost got the 4!! On the other hand, i rather get a B+ here than a normal B. Since a B+ counts as 3.2 rather th an just 3. Oh well i guess.