AMCAS grade question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm just wondering how AMCAS calculates grades. Here at UC Davis, they count a B- as say 2.7 points. A B+ is 3.3 points. And an A- is like 3.7 points. Does AMCAS care about +/-'s?

Members don't see this ad.

In the AAMCAS Instruction Manual there are instructions on how to calculate GPA for the commonest systems of reporting grades at different institutions. My motto: when all else fails, read the instructions. But being male, another rule is: when lost on the road, never ask for help at a service station or of anyone, especially if a woman is present.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a thought...it seems to me that it is unfair for AMCAS to count +/- because not all schools use them. So kids who go to schools that use that system are essentially punished for it. That, to my way of thinking is BAD FORM.

My school doesn't use them, so I guess I get off easy when calculating my GPA. I do feel that this system punishes me when a grade was really an A+, but you can't beat it when a grade is really and A-!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by jamier2 (edited April 06, 2001).]

I guess it works either way, an A- here is a 3.7, which isn't fun, since it feels like its mocking you..haha. You almost got the 4!! On the other hand, i rather get a B+ here than a normal B. Since a B+ counts as 3.2 rather th an just 3. Oh well i guess.