AMCAS Grades Vs School Grades

Started by deleted421268
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted421268

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
say someone gets 92 in a class at there school and that converts to A but according to AMCAS that’s an A-. In general does grading scales conversion to GPA for AMCAS higher or lower than school GPA?
 
What is on your transcript? If your transcript only has the letter grade, there is no way for AMCAS to know what your numerical grade actually was.
 
Does your school really record the exact percent you received in each class? Bc I don't remember my exact percent in any of my classes- I just know what letter grade I got (A, A-, B+, etc). The only slight difference that I will notice is that an A- at my school is calculated as a 3.66666 and on AMCAS I believe it is a 3.7 (which is a slight bump)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is on your transcript? If your transcript only has the letter grade, there is no way for AMCAS to know what your numerical grade actually was.
On my transcript it’s just letter grades. Also I’m not applying for this cycle I’m applying for Fall 2020 cycle.
 
Does your school really record the exact percent you received in each class? Bc I don't remember my exact percent in any of my classes- I just know what letter grade I got (A, A-, B+, etc). The only slight difference that I will notice is that an A- at my school is calculated as a 3.66666 and on AMCAS I believe it is a 3.7 (which is a slight bump)
No my school just has grades not percentages but I mean like the percentages received to get that grade.
 
I went through this whole thing several years ago, but when I was filling out AMCAS I was asked what kind of grading system my school used and the reported letter grades were converted into GPA-equivalents based on that. Thus, whether your GPA will increase, decrease, or stay the same will depend on your university’s grading system and how AMCAS treats your grades. In my case, my GPA increased negligibly.