AMCAS Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc206

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am working on finishing up my AMCAS and I came across a problem in filling out my course work. I did two years of community college while in HS so those counted as HS for the year in school. Then I finished up in three years at my university after High School...so does my status for the University start as a Junior...or do I start my time at the university as a Freshman? Also, does AMCAS place any more emphasis on certain years over others for grading? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Doc206 said:
Hey I am working on finishing up my AMCAS and I came across a problem in filling out my course work. I did two years of community college while in HS so those counted as HS for the year in school. Then I finished up in three years at my university after High School...so does my status for the University start as a Junior...or do I start my time at the university as a Freshman? Also, does AMCAS place any more emphasis on certain years over others for grading? Thanks for the help!

I had a somewhat similar situation and called AMCAS. They essentially said ANY courses taken in HS are to be listed as HS. Then, you need to determine what year to list for each semester of your classes based on # of semester units.

If you have over 32 semester units by the time you started college (post-HS), you need to list the courses as a Sophomore. But if you're under the 32 unit mark, you can list all of your Fall semester courses as a Freshman, then all of your Spring semester courses as a Sophomore.

PM me if you have questions. The goal in filling it out is to try to not "skip" a year if at all possible as you complete the form.

I am also in the same situation. I have HS, FR, SO, and SR.....skipping junior year...no problems from AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
The question is AMCAS-related, so I'm going to throw it in here. Yesterday's results were less than satisfactory (24P; reflects exactly how much time I put into studying) and as a result, I'll be retaking the exam in August (with a LOT more studying!).

The question is, is it better to go ahead and submit my AMCAS application now and check the 'retake' box, or wait until I get the Aug. score back? For the record, GPA is a 3.3, and I'm confident I can get 30+ with necessary studying.

Thanks!

nutster said:
The question is AMCAS-related, so I'm going to throw it in here. Yesterday's results were less than satisfactory (24P; reflects exactly how much time I put into studying) and as a result, I'll be retaking the exam in August (with a LOT more studying!).

The question is, is it better to go ahead and submit my AMCAS application now and check the 'retake' box, or wait until I get the Aug. score back? For the record, GPA is a 3.3, and I'm confident I can get 30+ with necessary studying.

Thanks!

with your gpa and mcat, i would definitely mark that you are retaking.....(of course not knowing your ECs...just based on the numbers)...i would want them to know that you plan on improving that score