AMCAS Languages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HurricaneKatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how fluent you guys think you need to be to include another language on your Med Apps? I have been taking ASL, and am continuing to take it during my Gap year. I am also planning to do some volunteering at the local School for the Deaf. I really enjoy ASL, and while I am not fluent, I can hold a decent conversation. Do you think it is okay to include ASL under other languages? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If you list that you're fluent, it's fair game for interviews. It's improbable but be prepared for things like your interviewer asking you to speak in sign language or something.

If you can hold a decent conversation and have experience with the deaf and mute, you should definitely include it.

If you list that you're fluent, it's fair game for interviews. It's improbable but be prepared for things like your interviewer asking you to speak in sign language or something.

If you can hold a decent conversation and have experience with the deaf and mute, you should definitely include it.

Ditto'ing.

I put the other language I speak on my app last year and it came up at interview time. Even if the interviewer isn't flutent in the "foreign" language, they may just mention the few words they know and see what your response is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I speak 4 languages.... 3 of them fluently. The other langue (french for language), I can understand everything I read... but I have no one to practice with, so conversationally I am not excellent. But I could get by sort of. I listed all 4... just cuz.

Chances are you if you put down that you speak French... and you're interviewing at Tulane... you could get someone who speaks French.

Same for Spanish in California, Florida, Texas etc.

Pretty much what others have said: if you are comfortable speaking (or signing ;)) in your interview, go ahead and put it.

Being "fluent" to the point that many people believe (speaking like a native) is ridiculous and pretty much unattainable for the majority of applicants and many people in general. But if you can hold a conversation and live in a foreign country, you should have no qualms about putting it.