AMCAS Lawsuit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thundercat77

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody out there considering or know of someone who wants to sue AMCAS? I'm talking about suing for the 2001-2002 application process. Is a class-action lawsuit possible??

Imagine going to a nice restaurant and ordering food. Then, the food doesn't come out until 3 hours later, while people who just walked in get their food before you. Then to top it off, the restaurants charges you the full price and you can't complain because the owner is also the mayor of the city.

That's what I feel about AMCAS. I hope somebody pays for all of this. We paid good money for our applications to be served and they couldn't even do that.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be nice if I could get a little bit of the money I spent on AMCAS back in my pockets. :D

I completely feel you. I'm so mad at AMCAS because their receptionists gave me wrong instructions on how to add more schools. They kept telling me to fill out a form and mail or fax it in. I did that twice within two months and then I finally got someone on the line who knew what the F$#K they were talking about. So, for the schools I added, my app was REALLY late. Also, my personal statment got jacked up when I submitted it despite the fact that it was perfectly fine when I pasted it and checked it out. Then, they wouldn't even change it until a school had requested my full p.s. I'm so pissed. If anyone hears anything about this, count me in!!! Unless of course I get accepted somewhere and thus wouldn't want to get kicked out or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what AMCAS did to me:

July: I had everything turned in and submitted for AMCAS.

Mid-October: AMCAS sends out an email that they didn't have my official transcript.

Since timing is very important, I believe AMCAS screwed me pretty badly. So badly that I might have to reapply again. I want AMCAS to pay at the very least, my fees for AMCAS.

What should I get in return for AMCAS wasting a year of my precious 20's? :mad: :mad: :mad:

AMCAS is a huge corporation and it would be difficult to sue and win. Hopefully they have fixed the majority of their problems, since they know if their mishaps happen again, med schools won't use them.

However, some SDNers threatened AMCAS with legal action and their problems were fixed quite fast. :)

Winning money is not going to happen but Dr Foxy is right, in the past when AMCAS took a long time to fix something some SDN members sent a letter from a lawyer and the problems were quickley fixed.

Quite a few people on this board have consulted with attorneys during this process about a lawsuit. Every single on has said that it would not be worthwhile. First, although shoddy, AMCAS did eventually do what it was supposed to. Second, it is VERY difficult to prove damages. You would have to get a med school to testify that you would have been accepted if not for AMCAS, etc. Not gonna happen! Sorry!

Actually a class action lawsuit was filed, but without the SDN search function, I can't tell you who to contact about it. The majority of lawyers we contacted did seem to advise against it, but it only takes one lawyer willing to take the risk and do all the work without much in the way of guaranteed payment to file a lawsuit. Amy Beth was the first SDNer to threaten legal action and have her application-processing problems disappear. A number of other SDNers, myself included, then followed suit. I highly recommend having a lawyer send a threatening letter if you are having any problems with AMCAS that are not resolved in a timely (like within 1 week) manner.

Hi,

try this attorney: Alan Kauffman
phone number: 561-394-7600

My family knows him for 10 years and so my family's friends. He is also the attorney on the board of the association where we live.

Call and you will not be disappointed.

Our pre-med advisor sent us some info about getting money back from AMCAS if extra expenses were faced as a result of the debacle. Unfortunately, I didnt find it worth my time topursue this for a little money so I dont remember the details. Might have been through AMCAS or AMSA.

Sorry I dont know more.

If you got into the schools you applied to, why are you suing? Your intention(in using AMCAS) was to apply and get into medical school right? Well was mission accomplished.

If I didn't get an acceptance due to AMCAS error/slowness NOT because my grades/mcat scores), then I guess suing can be an option....because AMCAS had something to do with it(i.e...not submitting your info in a timely/ordely manner).

Considering lawsuits cost a lot of money and require a lot of time put into it. By the time the money won is divided over the Gazillion students who applied/who are suing, you probably would break even.

I might have to apply again.

Are there forms out there that would let me apply through AMCAS for free/discounted?

To prove damages, an individual would need to prove that they were put at a measurably worse disadvantage than the general AMCAS applicant. I see people post all the time about submitting in June/July/August, and not being certified until Nov/Dec/Jan. This means that although frustrating, it is not an individual issue, and that you probably could not prove damages. If you are reapplying, and have problems, having an attorney send a threatening letter may help, but this is not because AMCAS has any fear of losing a lawsuit. It's just that to mount a defense costs money (although if they are sued and win a dismissal, they could counter sue to get their defense costs back), and its cheaper to resolve your issue.

AMCAS doesn't have a contract with applicants to do something in a timely manner, so you have no breach of contract either.

I see posts that complain about lawyers frequently, many of them with incorrect information (like that they don't have expensive malpractice insurance, bureaucracy, or high overhead like us poor doctors (to be)). Suing AMCAS just contributes to the problem of too much unnecessary litigation. You are mad. You're depressed. You're totally stressed. I completely understand, and also feel that I got screwed by AMCAS. But that isn't real damage, and especially if you got in somewhere this application cycle, it's time to let your feeling go and move on with your life. If you are reapplying, I'm sorry you will have to deal with AMCAS again, and hope that this year is smoother for you.

In the big picture, it seems like blaming AMCAS for your dissapointment is like blaming URMs for there not being enough slots at your favorite school. The process is stressful and flawed. This is the function of there not being enough spots at medical schools to accept even half the qualified applicants. The AMA has a big role in keeping the number of slots available low, so maybe you want to direct some of that energy at a system that can be changed, and not at other applicants or brand new AMCAS employees.

AMCAS had a turn over rate of three weeks all year (told to me by two different people who answered the phone). Why? Because they got screamed at and dumped on by applicants all day, for stuff that wasn't in their control. Applicants who take out their frustration on the wrong people contributed significantly to the problem of incompetent workers at AMCAS. If you are not getting what you want, ask nicely but insistantly to talk to a supervisor, or an employee who has been there for a longer time. That will get you a lot further than getting mad at the customer service rep who answered the phone.

Okay, I'm done ranting.