AMCAS Mistake - Listed non-clinical volunteering as paid employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDNERD13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was picking out competencies for a school on a secondary portal, I selected my volunteering experience and it popped up as "paid employment - not medical/clinical." Sure enough, on my AMCAS I listed it as paid employment. I cannot believe I missed this when reviewing my AMCAS app. Is it worth reaching out to schools so that they're aware? Should I just hope for the best? I really hope this doesn't screw me over.

Members don't see this ad.

How significant is this in terms of your entire app? Will this wipe out all of your nonclinical hours or do you have other hours still?

What does the activity entail? I.e. is it fairly obvious to the reader that it's really volunteering and there's just a mislabeling or is it equivocal in such a way that you think it could be easily mistaken.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
How significant is this in terms of your entire app? Will this wipe out all of your nonclinical hours or do you have other hours still?
Yes, this would wipe out all my nonclinical hours

What does the activity entail? I.e. is it fairly obvious to the reader that it's really volunteering and there's just a mislabeling or is it equivocal in such a way that you think it could be easily mistaken.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Well the description itself sounds like volunteering/service and I talk a lot about advocacy and serving people in my community without really mentioning the word 'volunteering.' The point of contact's title is "Direct Service Advocate Coordinator."