AMCAS not yet verified... should I still complete secondaries ASAP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoomx3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got several secondaries immediately after submitting my AMCAS, but my AMCAS still hasn't been verified. I've been taking my time with the secondaries, but I know people have mentioned that you should try to complete them within 1-2 weeks of receiving them... Does this matter though, given that my AMCAS isn't even verified? Shouldn't the clock start ticking only after my AMCAS is verified and the school is basically waiting on my secondary?

And there isn't a downside to submitting the secondary before AMCAS verification, right? Because I already submitted a couple that were really easy...

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The 1-2 week rule doesn't apply if you haven't been verified yet. Some schools will send secondaries but will explicitly say not to submit them until you are verified, so just double check on that and make sure to read everything on the application.

I would still stick to the adage that sooner is better. If the school already has the secondary on hand, once you get verified, you're already in queue. If you wait for verification, then spend extra time on secondaries, you're adding extra days to the wait time.

Unless the school specifically tells you not to submit until verification, I would submit. Also, remember that once you get verified, you're going to be flooded with new secondaries, which will cause greater backlog. Best to get everything done now and start pre-writing the ones you anticipate as well.

I would still stick to the adage that sooner is better. If the school already has the secondary on hand, once you get verified, you're already in queue. If you wait for verification, then spend extra time on secondaries, you're adding extra days to the wait time.

I agree with this for sure. I also got secondaries before my AMCAS app was verified and turned them in as soon as I could. When I did get verified I was almost instantaneously complete at many of those schools. :thumbup:

Note, some schools (such as BU, I think) won't let you submit until your primary app is verified.