AMCAS number on LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Advisor just told me that most schools want the student's AMCAS letter to be on their LOR's. Is this true? What if I am applying to osteopathic and allopathic schools? I already have a LOR from my physics prof uploaded onto Interfolio, and I know that he didn't have my AMCAS number.

Members don't see this ad.

shellyr33 said:
My Advisor just told me that most schools want the student's AMCAS letter to be on their LOR's. Is this true? What if I am applying to osteopathic and allopathic schools? I already have a LOR from my physics prof uploaded onto Interfolio, and I know that he didn't have my AMCAS number.

Some schools require it, some don't. But its a good idea to include it for all schools because it helps to match up LOR's with your file. Maybe you can get a note on your packet from interfolio with the number on it?

The 2 LORs I do have access to do not have my AMCAS ID on them, good thing too since I'm applying DO this round. I would assume you should get them without (maybe SSN if they need an identifier) and then have your advisor write a cover-letter with your AMCAS/AACOMAS ID on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that I can change the title of my Interfolio documents before I send them out to various schools. Do you think that I could put my AMCAS number in the title of the document?

Shelly, interfolio includes your AMCAS ID on the cover page for interfolio. Don't worry.

Sign into IF, click on Account and System Settings. You'll scroll down and see a list of things:

Grant my school access to my file
Display my Social Security Number on Delivery Coversheets
Display my AMCAS ID on Delivery Coversheets
Send email updates
Don't Remember My User ID

These are my settings right now. If you want to change it you can click on the little link beneath your settings. Oh, and only Pittsburgh so far has wanted special forms. I called and Pitt said I could sign them and send them in myself.

Thanks for your help! This is a time of high anxiety for me as I try to get everything done. I don't want to screw anything up!

High anxiety....For all of us. You're okay with the LOR. A lot of schools don't need you to do the forms if you are coming from Interfolio or Virtual Evals. And the majority don't have a special form.

As long as your profs used your real legal name (and SSN if you supplied it) you should be fine. Interfolio's gotcha. :luck:

I had my undergrad send in all of my letters - not one of them had my AMCAS ID. Schools say they require it, but apparently it doesn't matter too much. I also have a very unique first and last name, so it was probably easier for them in my case. If my name was John Doe, I would strongly consider putting my AMCAS ID on everything.

jackieMD2007 said:
High anxiety....For all of us. You're okay with the LOR. A lot of schools don't need you to do the forms if you are coming from Interfolio or Virtual Evals. And the majority don't have a special form.

As long as your profs used your real legal name (and SSN if you supplied it) you should be fine. Interfolio's gotcha. :luck:

Not to hijack the thread, but most schools I have secondaries so far don't seem to mention anything about signing waivers for the right to see the LOR's. Of course I won't be handling them or looking at them, but didn't know if it would be a problem not having signed anything? A couple of the schools, like you said, have special forms that I am including.

Haemulon said:
Not to hijack the thread, but most schools I have secondaries so far don't seem to mention anything about signing waivers for the right to see the LOR's. Of course I won't be handling them or looking at them, but didn't know if it would be a problem not having signed anything? A couple of the schools, like you said, have special forms that I am including.

Well, interfolio has a form that you fill out that the recommenders send in with your stuff that SAYS that you have waived your right to the letter. It is very official looking. Also on the cover page for Interfolio they tell us that they say on the front page whether the file is open or closed.

I think our electronic signatures for some of the schools are good enough, if we have checked a box that says we waive our right to the letters and then we certify the secondary, saying everything is true, etc.

Also, I think they can tell where the letters come from, especially if they are signed across the flap or if your University is far away from where you live now. :luck: