AMCAS on June 5th bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just something to think about, folks. Over the past several years (and maybe before that, I haven't heard) applications that were sent in on the first day were often actually approved by AMCAS later than those sent in several days after the first day that you're allowed to apply.

The AMCAS system can be buggy. The first folks who send in applications are what is known in the tech field as "beta testers". Given that AMCAS pushed out their submission date this year, I'm personally very hesitant to click submit at the first available opportunity.

To each their own. Personally, I'd talk to folks who write software for the web and ask them if they'd enter in anything time sensitive (or just plain sensitive) as soon as a new app goes up.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I'm not sending mine in until about a week after June 5th. I want to make sure that all the bugs are out of the system before I send it in.

I'm also not done with the PS, so that needs to be done soon too.

Heh, we're lucky this year! I'm a reapplicant from '01 and that was the year they were making the transition from paper AMCAS to web-based. Talk about problems!! Imagine the thousands of applicants bombarding that single server (at the time they only had one)! I remember it taking 15 minutes for one page to load! Needless to say, it was a very painful process.

From that perspective, the 2007 AMCAS appears very solid. They've had a good five years to fix any issues. I haven't experienced any problems with it and doubt that their decision to push back the submission date by four days had much to do with technical gliches. I think it is more likely that they were trying to push their date a little closer to the release of MCAT scores.

Instead of worrying about the technical issues, I would submit based on when I felt I had completed a flawless and concise application. If it's gonna take an extra week or two, I highly doubt that's going to screw up anybody's chances.

QUOTE=shantster]Yeah, I'm not sending mine in until about a week after June 5th. I want to make sure that all the bugs are out of the system before I send it in.

I'm also not done with the PS, so that needs to be done soon too.[/QUOTE]