AMCAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mprover

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all the people talking about verification, Im worried Ive screwed myself. Do they verify only AFTER you have finished and submitted the application? I am still working on the finishing touches on my personal statement. I dont want to have a lag between when I finish my ps and when my transcripts are verified. Is there any way I can submit , then edit my ps before it gets sent out to schools just so that I can have them verify all my transcripts?

Members don't see this ad.

ive heard that people have gotten theirs verified before they submitted, but i do not know this for a fact

you have to submit the AMCAS with everything complete before they will verify it. after it is submitted, you cannot make any changes to the personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
mprover said:
can I add schools after I submit?

This question has been asked repeatedly and I think no one has come up with a good answer to it.

I offer a suggestion.

Yes, you can add schools after your AMCAS is verified. However, I would get that first batch of secondaries out (i.e. received from the schools you initially put on the AMCAS application) and THEN add more schools so that it does not hold you back any, if it even does. From looking atthe AMCAS manual it states that your application goes back through the verification process again and if it is more time consuming, it could be a waste for you.

If you have the money now, why not apply to all of your schools in one shot?

jsnuka said:
This question has been asked repeatedly and I think no one has come up with a good answer to it.

I offer a suggestion.

Yes, you can add schools after your AMCAS is verified. However, I would get that first batch of secondaries out (i.e. received from the schools you initially put on the AMCAS application) and THEN add more schools so that it does not hold you back any, if it even does. From looking atthe AMCAS manual it states that your application goes back through the verification process again and if it is more time consuming, it could be a waste for you.

If you have the money now, why not apply to all of your schools in one shot?

After you're verified, adding more schools is instantaneous . There is no waiting whatsoever. I don't know if it adds any more waiting time if you are NOT verified, though.

Punkn said:
After you're verified, adding more schools is instantaneous . There is no waiting whatsoever. I don't know if it adds any more waiting time if you are NOT verified, though.

i didn't want to run the risk of being bumped back in the line by adding schools before i was verified. i waited until after, and as punkn said, it is instantaneous. don't worry too much about adding more schools after submitting. if you wait til after you are verified it is easy and painless (other than the fact that you are giving them more money)

Punkn said:
Right, I added 2 schools right after being verified and they showed up as soon as I paid--no extra verification. And since no one seems to know if adding schools before being verified delays anything, maybe everyone should just wait. If you add them right after being verified, it doesn't make any difference at all.

I am a little confused by the whole 'verification process' - what happens if I get something wrong on my AMCAS application -won't AMCAS just correct it and send it on to the schools? Is there any disadvantage/drawback to this? (except maybe reflecting poorly on my ability to read a transcript?)

if your amcas application is filled with too many errors and is a cause for concern that you are either incapable of copying and calculating grades or trying to lie about it, you wont get through the verification process. its simply a way to see if your grades that you put in match your transcript. the drawback of this is simply you're goin to have to do it all over again until you get it right. I dont know if its recorded that you failed the verification process, but im sure regardless if it is or not, you put yourself at a big disadvantage by having to go through the process all over again. They will correct minor errors, but not if there are too many.

On another note, I dont understand why they cant accept electronic transcripts from schools in teh same way that they accept committee letters (VirtualEvals apparently is accepted by most allopathic schools, i cant see why they wont accept electronic transcripts seeing its probably more secure and faster then regular snail mail)

braluk said:
if your amcas application is filled with too many errors and is a cause for concern that you are either incapable of copying and calculating grades or trying to lie about it, you wont get through the verification process. its simply a way to see if your grades that you put in match your transcript. the drawback of this is simply you're goin to have to do it all over again until you get it right. I dont know if its recorded that you failed the verification process, but im sure regardless if it is or not, you put yourself at a big disadvantage by having to go through the process all over again. They will correct minor errors, but not if there are too many.

On another note, I dont understand why they cant accept electronic transcripts from schools in teh same way that they accept committee letters (VirtualEvals apparently is accepted by most allopathic schools, i cant see why they wont accept electronic transcripts seeing its probably more secure and faster then regular snail mail)

I would bet that the concern is over electronic tampering. if most schools went to a secure software package that would eliminate possible tampering by students, then it might happen. I am sure that has been the biggest thing even with tests going to computer--the security of materials.

jsnuka said:
I would bet that the concern is over electronic tampering. if most schools went to a secure software package that would eliminate possible tampering by students, then it might happen. I am sure that has been the biggest thing even with tests going to computer--the security of materials.
well with virtualevals being one fo the electronic couriers of committee letters that is accepted by most allopathic schools, i dont understand why they cant go through the same system as well. If its secure enough for them to trust committee letters, why not transcripts?

braluk said:
well with virtualevals being one fo the electronic couriers of committee letters that is accepted by most allopathic schools, i dont understand why they cant go through the same system as well. If its secure enough for them to trust committee letters, why not transcripts?

One can call to verify the content of a letter or touch base with a colleague. To do the same with thousands of transcripts from the same institutions over and over gain would be a bit much, don't you think?

A "dirty" transcript is more egregious than most anything else, well maybe besides leaving a school off the AMCAS application, which would be another form of academic dishonesty.

The seal of the registrar and other particulars would not be available electronically either I suppose too.

Erina said:
Right, I added 2 schools right after being verified and they showed up as soon as I paid--no extra verification. And since no one seems to know if adding schools before being verified delays anything, maybe everyone should just wait. If you add them right after being verified, it doesn't make any difference at all.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip Erina! :thumbup: