shook33

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
how do you determine or find your amcas calculated GPA?

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Kaitain
Status
Resident [Any Field]
shook33 said:
how do you determine or find your amcas calculated GPA?
Two words:
Excel

Wait, that's one.

OP
S

shook33

10+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
durfen said:
Two words:
Excel

Wait, that's one.
So amcas doesnt figure it out for you based upon what you enter? There is no place on the app that asks you for it right?

About the Ads

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
shook33 said:
So amcas doesnt figure it out for you based upon what you enter? There is no place on the app that asks you for it right?
Print if off when you're finished (or at least click the "Print Application" button and it'll come up in a separate window as it would look if printed) and it will display your calculated AMCAS GPA.

It is calculated based on the courses you enter. You're right, there is nowhere that you enter it yourself.

TIGIBedHead

Fever to Tell
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2005
erewhon
Status
Also, you can only see the calculated GPAs after you are verified, so don't be concerned if you look before and nothing appears.

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
AMCAS will calculate it for you and will display it in the pdf file (print application button).

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
With my husband, my kids, and the hellcat
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Elementary school mathematics
Actually you'd need basic statistics to do it. Not sure what elementary school you went to...

Looque

Bob Loblaw
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2006
Hyde Park, Chicago
Status
Medical Student
MiesVanDerMom said:
Actually you'd need basic statistics to do it. Not sure what elementary school you went to...
Well, it's just addition, multiplication and division...

bretticus

NeuroIR fellow
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
Missouri
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
for what?? GPA calculation is solely arithmetic.
Just because you can calculate something with elementary mathematics doesn't mean (hah, pun) it belongs to basic arithmetic. I could calculate an FFT (well discrete anyway) using elementary mathematics, but it is still considered a signal processing calculation. An average is a part of the field of statistics as MiesVanDerMom said, though it may be trivial to calculate.

Of course, the fact that I'm arguing about such things is probably dumb. Oh well...

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status
Post Doc
I used the tables given on AMCAS help section to do it. My school gives +'s, but not -'s, for example, so for every B+ I used a 3.3 value instead of a 3.5 (the value assigned in my schoo). I had already calculated my BCMP and my Total, however, when I was processed, I was off by .04 in both. So I would just wait until you are verified to get it, otherwise you might end up submitting the wrong gpa in secondaries.

Mine went up from what I had, so I'm not complaining, but wait until you are verified first to check it. :love:

defrunner

I'm Greased Up
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
baylormed said:
I used the tables given on AMCAS help section to do it. My school gives +'s, but not -'s, for example, so for every B+ I used a 3.3 value instead of a 3.5 (the value assigned in my schoo). I had already calculated my BCMP and my Total, however, when I was processed, I was off by .04 in both. So I would just wait until you are verified to get it, otherwise you might end up submitting the wrong gpa in secondaries.

Mine went up from what I had, so I'm not complaining, but wait until you are verified first to check it. :love:
Cool... Yeah, OP, I would take his advice if you're that curious; it sounds like he's right. I don't know why his school doesn't give out '-'.s though... weird!

About the Ads