AMCAS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlr8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm filling out my AMCAS and had a question, couldn't find the answer in the Help section:

Under "Schools Attended" this question is asked:
"Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?"

I answered yes, as I have taken many AP classes in high school.

Then, at the next screen it proceeds to ask me "Is a transcript is required?" I can either choose Yes or Continue. I am assuming that I just choose continue because my AP credits are also listed on my college transcript. Is this correct, or is there any other transcript I'd have to give for the AP credits? I just wanted to make sure, if anyone that has AP credit and filled out AMCAS could verify for me it would be much appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

where did the AP credit count? was it just at the 1 college you're attending, or did you get college credit at more than 1 place?

Hi I'm filling out my AMCAS and had a question, couldn't find the answer in the Help section:

Under "Schools Attended" this question is asked:
"Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?"

I answered yes, as I have taken many AP classes in high school.

Then, at the next screen it proceeds to ask me "Is a transcript is required?" I can either choose Yes or Continue. I am assuming that I just choose continue because my AP credits are also listed on my college transcript. Is this correct, or is there any other transcript I'd have to give for the AP credits? I just wanted to make sure, if anyone that has AP credit and filled out AMCAS could verify for me it would be much appreciated, thank you.

Those "post-secondary courses" anywhere else means dual enrollment while in high school, community college while in a university, etc.

AP/IB courses are still high school classes; you just received college credit for them. IMO, you answer "No" to that question. Those AP courses, although you list them under the Courses section, show up on the transcript from the university you currently are attending (this is assuming you haven't transferred or haven't taken other coursework in a community college).

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those "post-secondary courses" anywhere else means dual enrollment while in high school, community college while in a university, etc.

AP/IB courses are still high school classes; you just received college credit for them. IMO, you answer "No" to that question. Those AP courses, although you list them under the Courses section, show up on the transcript from the university you currently are attending (this is assuming you haven't transferred or haven't taken other coursework in a community college).

Hope that helps.

I did exactly this on my AMCAS last year, and it was accepted no problem so I'm pretty sure it's right. The one thing is that I wasn't able to put down any of the AP classes that my school did not give me credit for (ie about half of them), and I'm not sure how you could go about doing that if you really wanted them on there. But really all you want your AP exams on there for is if you had some kind of placement out of premed requirements (like Calc), which your school almost certainly granted you credit for.

You do NOT need any kind of transcript verification. Just make sure your APs appear on one of your college transcripts.

i have a different question about AMCAS. can you submit it for verification and then update the personal statement or activities later on?

i have a different question about AMCAS. can you submit it for verification and then update the personal statement or activities later on?

There are certain aspects you can change, like contact information, but with stuff like a personal statement or activities, I don't think you can.

You can return to the application later on to add more schools it can be sent to. All in all, you want to try to get it right the first time; the appeal process is a long and arduous one.

There are certain aspects you can change, like contact information, but with stuff like a personal statement or activities, I don't think you can.

You can return to the application later on to add more schools it can be sent to. All in all, you want to try to get it right the first time; the appeal process is a long and arduous one.

Once AMCAS is submitted you can not change anything except:
- contact information: address, phone, email etc.
- projected MCAT future test date, or cancellation of a projected date
- apply to additional programs during the cycle

After you have submitted AMCAS, you can send update transcripts/grade sheets (end of summer/fall terms) to most individual programs as significant events occur.

When can we submit our AMCAS this year?

QUOTE]

I was curious about this as well. It seems redundant to answer "yes" to that question right after I entered all the info for the multiple institutions I attended. I guess I have to do it anyway?

As for high school AP credit, my college transcript just lists "Advanced Placement: 12.00 Units" because I passed 3 tests. It says nothing about which tests they were. I wouldn't be concerned about that but one of the tests I passed was bio, and I'd like any med school that might care to see that I have the credit. Advice?

QUOTE]

I was curious about this as well. It seems redundant to answer "yes" to that question right after I entered all the info for the multiple institutions I attended. I guess I have to do it anyway?
I just went through that, you can say "no" if you already entered the school information where that credit was given.

They just want to make sure you don't forget to count your AP credits.

O snap, I'd like to know the answer to that too!