AMCAS Repeat Courses at Different Institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AB92

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to drop this here in case any one in the future is having the same question I did and can't find an answer prior to submitting for verification.

If you "repeat" a course at a different institution, AMCAS DOES NOT consider that course a repeat.

I took Chemistry I and II at my undergrad institution almost 8 years ago. Fast forward, and I retook Chemistry I and II as a non-trad at a different institution (because I live in a different state now) as post-bacc courses to refresh my knowledge before diving into Organic I and II and Biochem. On my AMCAS application, I noted the Chemistry I and II courses that I took as posts-bacc as "Repeat" courses. THEY ARE NOT REPEATS, according to AMCAS. I just reviewed my application after verification, and they removed the "Repeat" designation from these courses.

I don't think it's all that big of a deal to have them correct that on my application, but I just wanted to share this, as I couldn't find a helpful answer to this prior to submitting. The AMCAS guidelines don't specifically spell this out, so it's a bit tricky to decipher (unlike AACOMAS who specifically says if you took the same course at a different institution, it is NOT a repeat).

Hope this is helpful to someone now or years for now :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users