AMCAS Repeat Courses at Different Institution

Started by AB92
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AB92

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just wanted to drop this here in case any one in the future is having the same question I did and can't find an answer prior to submitting for verification.

If you "repeat" a course at a different institution, AMCAS DOES NOT consider that course a repeat.

I took Chemistry I and II at my undergrad institution almost 8 years ago. Fast forward, and I retook Chemistry I and II as a non-trad at a different institution (because I live in a different state now) as post-bacc courses to refresh my knowledge before diving into Organic I and II and Biochem. On my AMCAS application, I noted the Chemistry I and II courses that I took as posts-bacc as "Repeat" courses. THEY ARE NOT REPEATS, according to AMCAS. I just reviewed my application after verification, and they removed the "Repeat" designation from these courses.

I don't think it's all that big of a deal to have them correct that on my application, but I just wanted to share this, as I couldn't find a helpful answer to this prior to submitting. The AMCAS guidelines don't specifically spell this out, so it's a bit tricky to decipher (unlike AACOMAS who specifically says if you took the same course at a different institution, it is NOT a repeat).

Hope this is helpful to someone now or years for now 🙂