satdixon

2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2019
Hey everyone! I am currently a Texas resident, and am considering going to New York for a Masters before applying to medical school again. Since I am a dependent of my parents, I will be able to claim residency again. Will attending grad school in New York help for New York medical schools even if claim Texas residency on my AMCAS application as well?

Jun 24, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Title says TMDSAS, but question seems to be about AMCAS. Anyways, check re: each state's residency requirements - there may be special requirements for med schools. Assuming you are a TX resident, you are not likely to have any big edge over other OOS for NY schools that favor NY residents. Some may consider "link to state", but an OOS is still an OOS. just MHO.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I doubt living in NYC for a two-year graduate program would put you above the other OOS applicants. Lots of young people want to move to New York. State ties are often desirable for places nobody wants to move to, like places in the midwest that have a larger number of farming acres than human inhabitants.

Even with ties, if you look at the school-specific threads, every day there are examples of OOS students who are alma maters of the schools they still get rejected from.

So, it won't hurt you, but don't go there if your sole reason is that you think it will give you an edge in admissions.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.