AMCAS Submission in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Delilah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So because I have to retake the MCAT in May due to the test glitch that transpired this past January, my schedule is kind of throw off. My objective was to tip my BCPM GPA over a 3.0, which would've happened had I been able to take more classes this semester, and have my AMCAS application ready in June.

However, since I had to cut down on my courseload, I have to take an extra course in the summer (which ends early August) to achieve that "cutoff". But this poses the risk of delaying my application.

I expect to come out w/ a solid MCAT score as my practice tests averaged 32+. I am a URM, female, graduated from Ivy League.

The question is, since I am a borderline candidate, should I:

a) Apply EARLY (June) with a BCPM 2.90, CUMM 3.4
b) Apply mid-August, with BCPM 3.0+, CUMM 3.4

Is making that elusive 3.0 cutoff worth being a somewhat late applicant? I might not get verified until mid-September. Is that too late?

Advice much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

So because I have to retake the MCAT in May due to the test glitch that transpired this past January, my schedule is kind of throw off. My objective was to tip my BCPM GPA over a 3.0, which would've happened had I been able to take more classes this semester, and have my AMCAS application ready in June.

However, since I had to cut down on my courseload, I have to take an extra course in the summer (which ends early August) to achieve that "cutoff". But this poses the risk of delaying my application.

I expect to come out w/ a solid MCAT score as my practice tests averaged 32+. I am a URM, female, graduated from Ivy League.

Is making that elusive 3.0 cutoff worth being a somewhat late applicant? I might not get verified until mid-September. Is that too late?

Honestly? I'd do neither.

Instead, I'd take another year before applying. During that year, I'd sign myself up for a few more upper-level undergrad science classes at my local university (you'll find that you can take classes "a la carte" at most such places, without enrolling for a degree).

I know that your URM status will help you somewhat, and your CUMM is probably fine. But, honestly, your BCPM is awfully, awfully low. You may get in this year- but don't count on it. I personally know an Ivy-grad URM with stats like yours who has applied twice already, and didn't get accepted on either occasion.

How far above 3.0 BCPM are we talking? If it's like 3.1, I would just apply as early as possible. My stats are somewhat similar to yours (see MDapps), and I plan to re-apply VERY early next cycle if nothing comes of this cycle. Apply late kills.

Members don't see this ad :)

are you sure that taking one BCPM course (and predicting an A) will increase you gpa by 0.10 or more? i would think the increase would be negligible.. (after 4 years of BCPM courses)?

im not sure which scenario is better. honestly, i think applying super early is to your advantage, and applying in wide scope. Once your grade comes in, I advise updating your schools right away with that A. It may all depend on what schools you are applying to as well? If you are applying to a lot of rolling admissions schools, I say apply early. If you are applying to a lot of schools that are non-rolling and interview very late in the season... it may be better the other way?

This is a very hard decision. I wouldn't feel right applying at all this year, honestly (even though you are URM as well). I would try to better your app with more science courses.

I plan on applying to a broad scope. Updated schools with my summer grades after AMCAS submission is an option. Thanks.

how do you update them on your new grades. Is the transcript you send with AMCAS not the final one they judge you on, or is there such a thing as an update?

If my grades for spring quarter don't come out till June 18th, should I apply then or earlier in June and send this so called update?

Apply early. It's something that you KNOW will help your app. Whereas you're just assuming the 3.0 cutoff will help your app. I think you're better off going with what you know for sure.

And I'm glad to know the computer MCAT is working out so well for everyone. Blah!