nothing101

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2015
hey,

ok, so my friend was telling me if you list a class on amcas there is no way they will ever find out. she repeated a few class and also got bad grades and she doesnt want to lower her gpa. even if she does lie, will she get caught? i dont want her to get in trouble.

Jul 30, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
hey,

ok, so my friend was telling me if you list a class on amcas there is no way they will ever find out. she repeated a few class and also got bad grades and she doesnt want to lower her gpa. even if she does lie, will she get caught? i dont want her to get in trouble.
Huh? Is this for real? Your school has to send a transcript to the AAMC so they can verify everything you put into the application. I hope you know that. Lord help you if you decide to go into the medical field.

Pinocytosis

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
hey,

Please, please, please be a troll.

The fact that "your friend" cannot take accountability for her bad grades/decision worries me as an aspiring physician.

Nevertheless, I'll bite. AMCAS will most likely find out. If not blatantly obvious, there are still ways to find out the classes an applicant took. You may ask, so what? If it is obvious that your friend was trying to hide poor grades, she will be investigated. This could blacklist her for future AMCAS application.

Further, if it wasn't obvious enough, medical schools do not approve of this. If your friend slips, brags, etc. then the school can find out pre- and post-acceptance and institutional action can occur. There have been threads on SDN and other pre-medical websites where this has occurred.

I think people forget that lying about grades is much more than just changing your GPA. It shows your character and devotion to this field. Get a grip.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
hey,

And if the poor grades came from another institution and she doesn't list that school on the application, AMCAS has a connection to the Student Clearinghouse, which lists every school students have attended. They will know what original transcripts to expect.

ChrisMack390

2+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
This is probably harder to get away with than a criminal record honestly.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
This is probably harder to get away with than a criminal record honestly.
way harder.
1) each AMCAS application must receive official transcripts from the institutions the student has attended. Official transcripts often contain more detailed info than the student copy (which is why every applicant should pay for and get an official copy when filling out AMCAS).
2) If a student ever attended a college and used any sort of financial aid, they will likely pop up on the National Student Clearing House, which AMCAS now uses at the primary source for course classification during verification. That would mean the missing transcript would pop up on as a flag on AMCAS
3) If the applicant were to do this and be caught for a willful violation he/she would be banned from AMCAS. That would mean they would never, ever be able to apply to medical school in the united states.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
TMDSAS and AACOMAS are unrelated application services, and might provide a viable second chance at Texas public med schools and/or osteopathic med schools, if AMCAS med schools are no longer an option.