AMCAS transcripts and letters of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmer

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have several questions about the 2003 AMCAS. First do we have to use the AMCAS transcript request forms to get our transcripts sent there or can we request for them to be sent there by other methods. If we can't this sucks since we have to finsish the bio, post-sec experience, and essays sections before we can print off the request forms. Next, I don't understand the whole letter of rec thing. Do we have them sent to AMCAS and then they send them to the schools you are applying to? My school keeps a central file for LOR and then has them sent where you want when you make a request if this makes a difference. Finally, what do we need to do with our AAMC ID# and LOR? I see that we are to include the number some way or another with the LOR for filing convenience, but could someone elaborate on this.?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS won't really know how you requested your transcripts, just so long as they get them directly from your registrar. I just used my schools' forms for that.
LOR's don't go out til you get secondaries. Then I made business cards w/ my AMCAS ID#, SS#, and some other info and asked the career center, where my LOR's are filed to attach a card to each set of recc's going out.

i remember i could print out the transcript request prior to finishing my AMCAS.

having the amcas # on your letter of rec makes it easier for the med schools to put the LORs with your AMCAS app.

the LORs are directly sent to med schools (not to AMCAS). i had mine transmitted prior to them being requested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmer,

I just started filling in my grades/classes - without doing anything with the essay or post-sec experiences - and I just printed out the transcript request forms for all three schools I went to. I don't know why you wouldn't be able to print them out...

FC

Yup, I just did my transcript request without any essay or even post-sec exp

Thanks all for your help on the LOR. I see some of you are able to print the transcript request forms so my question now is simply how? The transcript request form section in the main menu of AMCAS is not lit up for me and I cannot click on it to open it (same goes for the gpa, and courses taken sections). All other sections are lit up and I can click on them to open. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm a jacka**!! :rolleyes: I figured out that I need to enter information in the schools attended section before I can print off transcript request forms. Oh well, carry on.