• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

AMCAS Verification Question - freaking out please help!!

D

deleted821402

I submitted my AMCAS app more than 2 weeks ago (so applied early, but not verified yet). I didn't think twice about this before, but it's been bugging me this morning. I took one dual enrollment class in high school (offered through community college for my high school). My university did not give me any credit for it and it did not get calculated into my GPA, so I did not include it in my AMCAS coursework. Now, I'm panicking, what if that holds up my verification? Can someone please tell me how to proceed from here?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
I submitted my AMCAS app more than 2 weeks ago (so applied early, but not verified yet). I didn't think twice about this before, but it's been bugging me this morning. I took one dual enrollment class in high school (offered through community college for my high school). My university did not give me any credit for it and it did not get calculated into my GPA, so I did not include it in my AMCAS coursework. Now, I'm panicking, what if that holds up my verification? Can someone please tell me how to proceed from here?
It is irrelevant whether or not your university gave you credit
1) Did you take a college class in HS? Yes/No
2) did you get credit and/or a grade for it? Yes/No
3) does it appear on a college transcript? Yes/No
4) did you report on AMCAS? yes/no

Verification may be the least of your worries. While an investigation and potentially being banned from AMCAS is possible it is unlikely to happen
So here is the situation: you have submitted an application attesting to its accuracy which you wholly responsible for. You have now lied on your application. It is irrelevant as to why you didnt note the course the course, whether intentionally or oversight, it is your responsibility.

So you have two choices. First is do nothing. If AMCAS discovers it, then deal with it then. If they dont find it, If and when you get accepted you can write a "dean letter" saying an oversight on this course, particularly if it is non-science/non math course. This is trivial.
Second, call AMCAS and beg to allow an update to this. However, if you do that, it can easily lead to your entire application being withdrawn for the cycle, losing all funds and not allowed to reapply this cycle. It could, however unlikely, it could lead to being banned from AMCAS. Considering the enormous issues with AMCAS staff and responsiveness, I would go with the first choice

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
It is irrelevant whether or not your university gave you credit
1) Did you take a college class in HS? Yes/No
2) did you get credit and/or a grade for it? Yes/No
3) does it appear on a college transcript? Yes/No
4) did you report on AMCAS? yes/no

Verification may be the least of your worries. While an investigation and potentially being banned from AMCAS is possible it is unlikely to happen
So here is the situation: you have submitted an application attesting to its accuracy which you wholly responsible for. You have now lied on your application. It is irrelevant as to why you didnt note the course the course, whether intentionally or oversight, it is your responsibility.

So you have two choices. First is do nothing. If AMCAS discovers it, then deal with it then. If they dont find it, If and when you get accepted you can write a "dean letter" saying an oversight on this course, particularly if it is non-science/non math course. This is trivial.
Second, call AMCAS and beg to allow an update to this. However, if you do that, it can easily lead to your entire application being withdrawn for the cycle, losing all funds and not allowed to reapply this cycle. It could, however unlikely, it could lead to being banned from AMCAS. Considering the enormous issues with AMCAS staff and responsiveness, I would go with the first choice
As you are pre-verification, there is a third option:
-email AMCAS apologizing that you forgot to submit a HS dual enrollment transcript, but that it is coming.
-Have the CC Registrar send an original copy of your transcript to AMCAS ASAP with the AMCAS ID attached.
-When you are verified, AMCAS will make the correction.

Read these posts where this approach worked out well for the applicant: 2018-2019 AMCAS Application

Last edited:
About the Ads

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
You took the class in high school and it doesn’t show up on your college transcript. You’ll be fine. Just leave it alone. You’re risking way more by drawing attention to it.
That is INCORRECT. There is a college that has this class listed (not his home institution). That college class was supposed to be reported

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
That is INCORRECT. There is a college that has this class listed (not his home institution). That college class was supposed to be reported
With all due respect, and I say this with the utmost of affection, I think @RJ McReady understands the strict meaning of the rule, and even you admitted that the omission was trivial and was best left alone, so why the disagreement?

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
1) it wasnt the same thing. The OP took a class in HS at college A. Simply because it doesnt appear at the OP’s regular/post HS college B, doesnt mean that it “wont matter”
2) as I said in my first post that I would leave it alone now but it will needto be corrected if accepted directly with the med school
3) others beside the OP and posters here will read this thread and any simple statement such as
You took the class in high school and it doesn’t show up on your college transcript. You’ll be fine. Just leave it alone. You’re risking way more by drawing attention to it.

Can easily be misread by someone in the future and say “oh, that college class I took in HS never showed up in my regular college transcript. I dont need to report”
and that is INCORRECT

gonnif

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
I don’t agree with this either. If OP is accepted, why would he need to report it then? It means even less at that point. All that my med schools asked for after acceptance was a final transcript.
The OP is likely talking about 2 separate college with two separate transcripts (in HS and then post HS). Due diligence at med schools may find post acceptance. Therefore report an oversight then where it usually wont be an issue

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.