Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AMCAS Verification???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DaniDoc, Apr 29, 2004.

1. DaniDoc

DaniDoc Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting up my med school apps, and I've run across SDNers saying something about AMCAS verification taking awhile. What's the deal? Do you just sit back after submitting your app and wait for AMCAS to contact you that your primary package has been received? And how do you find out at all - are you notified or is it each individual's responsibility to check back constantly on the AAMC website?

I'd love some input! This "Verification" step is one thing I have NOT heard much about at all!

Thanks! :)
    DD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Xega

Xega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So after you submit AMCAS takes some time to verify the grades that you input with the transcripts that you sent in. If you get you app in really early (like first week they are accepting them) then it won't take too long, but if it is in mid July expect a long wait (4-8 weeks if it is anything like this year). When your app has been verified you will get an email from AMCAS saying that it was verified and if anything was changed (if it was it is a pain in the a$$ to fix sometimes). They will then tell the schools you listed to download your info after which you will start to get info about secondaries.

3. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

schools are not told if you messed up and amcas had to correct something (like grades, cours name, etc.). they just get a corrected version.

but even if you send it in july, secondaries dont come till maybe around august. so from my experience, if you turn it in early june or latest before mid july, it wont be that much of a diff. but thats just what i believe, im sure others here will disagree...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Actually I started getting secondaries in July and my first interview was in August so it really does help to get everything in early. It will not mean that if you get it in later you will not get accepted *but* the earlier everything is done the earlier that you *do* get accepted and live stress free. IMHO this to me was the greatest benefit of early applications...

5. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just wait..... you will know all about it it a few months. :scared:

The number of posts you will see about verification and not being verified and when will I be verified with make your head spin. It is definitely an aggravating bump in the application process journey. That and waiting for AMCAS to let you know that they have all your transcripts. They will email you about updates they do along the way. You will also be able to check online on their web site.

Good luck.

6. bosox03

bosox03 Believe
    10+ Year Member

Just get your transcript requests out as soon as possible...AMCAS really gets bogged down in July. Secondaries don't start coming til July or August, but you will feel a lot better knowing that you are verified early. Good luck.

7. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    OK, this seems like a good place for this question. I am currently a grad student at Ohio State. We don't get our grades until the second week of June (early enough I guess, not quite June 1). Anyways, I wont be sending those transcripts in until this quarter is recorded. However, as an undergrad I took one class at a different institution in a different city. Would it be wise to have that transcript sent in as soon as AMCAS starts accepting transcripts?

Thanks
    Adrian

8. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

yes. send it in so you dont have to scramble when your ohio state transcript is ready.

9. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

hmmm sorry. my bad. yeah, i should of mentioned california secondaries dont start coming in until august. but, def...earlier=better!

10. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]

Yes send in any completed transcripts early.

For all those waiting for grades......DO NOT send in a transcript request until you get your grades for this semester if yu want those classes to show up on your application. Wait until you get the grades and then send in the transcript request to your school. That way AMCAS will have everything you need on one transcript for your school.

Oh and follow up to make sure your school sent them. For the schools that you have to pay for the transcripts, check to see if they cashed your check or charged your credit card. Don't assume that the schools have sent them.
    I just got done dealing with all my transcripts being sent to the school that accepted me. I assumed they were all sent in. I happen to call and find out they weren't all there so I had to send in another request to that school. This time they charged my credit card and my school got it. It is ultimetely your responsibility to make sure everything falls into place as it needs to during the application process. STAY ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. discusdan

discusdan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do we just call our academic department and request them to send our transcripts to AMCAS or do we need to go down and get a copy and send it to them ourselves?

12. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

usually you can request it by mail or something like that.

13. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    One of my schools had a form online that I had to print out and mail with a check. They wouldn't take over the phone requests.

My other school took it over the phone and charged my credit card.

You ususally will call the registars office and not the academic dept. Check your school's web page and it should tell you who to contact.

14. pratik7

pratik7 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I posted this earlier on a different but got no response. Hopefully someone can answer this for me.
    Is it possible to submit the amcas application for verification before deciding if you are gonna apply EDP. If not, can you submit without telling them what schools you are applying to ?

15. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]

No. If you are going to apply EDP, you have to do it when you submit your application. You can't apply to AMCAS without telling them where to send your application. Is that what you are asking? All schools except for TEWxas and DO will require you go through AMCAS.

16. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I submitted August 1 and it took 2 months. I friend submitted it in early November and it took 4 days.