AMCAS Verification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AMCAS application still hasn't been verified. It's been a while since I submitted it on Oct. 15th. At least I've recieved secondaries from 7 of the 24 schools to which I applied. How long does the verification process take? Also, would this be the reason that I am not recieving secondaries from schools that send secondaries to all those applying? I'm assuming they're waiting for the AMCAS to be made available to them.

Can anyone enlighten me to these details of the procedure?

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS takes about a month on average. Relatively few schools send out their secondaries before AMCAS is verified, so you'll get most of them once that happens.

Also, many schools are swamped with applications, and/or use regular mail for communication. So getting secondaries may take a while even after verification.

Good Luck!

Expect to wait 3-5 weeks until your application is verified (mine took 5.) In the meantime, get in all the secondaries that you have access to. It doesn't make sense but some schools wait until they receive your verified application until they send you a secondary; it doesn't make sense for schools that automatically give secondaries to all their applicants.

In addition, I would have all your letters of rec sent out to all your schools right now. There's no use in waiting (an exception might be the UCs which specifically say not to send the letters until you receive a secondary.)

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre-medical office has already sent out my Letters of Rec to all the schools on my list. Does this seem to be a foreseeable problem to anyone, my pre-med office seems to think it isn't, but I sometimes kinda wonder...
It's not that they would try to hurt me or anything ridiculous like that, but I've gotten secondaries with special forms that are to be sent in with the LORs. Any thoughts?

The problem is, some schools like UCSF specify that if they receive your letters before you've received a secondary, they'll shred your letters and you'll have to resubmit them. Other schools like Keck (USC) require you print out a form and include it inside the envelope containing your rec letters.

In all likelihood, you'll have to resubmit your letters to at least a couple of the schools on your list but you should be fine for most of them.