AMCAS verified study abroad coursework with =/=

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dholida

Reaction score
I FINALLY got verified today (7/15) after submitting on 5/30 because of a transcript delay (yay!)

However, I think AMCAS didn't process a supplemental letter (sent on May 29, they STILL haven't attached to my app) that explained how my study abroad coursework was transferred over credit-wise to my home institution (my study abroad grades were not included on my official transcript, but the classes were used to calculate my GPA). Because of that, no U.S. credits were assigned to my grades and AMCAS marked it as =/= (coursework not meant to be verified).

Now, I don't really know if I should reach out to AMCAS to fix this error (I've already submitted 2 transcript escalation requests since the letter was submitted 6 wks ago and haven't heard anything yet), or if I should just attach the letter to my secondary apps/send it directly to my schools. I'm only concerned because I don't want schools to say I didn't complete required prereqs in the U.S., therefore I'm ineligble for admission or whatever. The coursework was transferred as equivalent to US courses, AMCAS just didn't process the letter in time for my app to be verified.

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I FINALLY got verified today (7/15) after submitting on 5/30 because of a transcript delay (yay!)

However, I think AMCAS didn't process a supplemental letter (sent on May 29, they STILL haven't attached to my app) that explained how my study abroad coursework was transferred over credit-wise to my home institution (my study abroad grades were not included on my official transcript, but the classes were used to calculate my GPA). Because of that, no U.S. credits were assigned to my grades and AMCAS marked it as =/= (coursework not meant to be verified).

Now, I don't really know if I should reach out to AMCAS to fix this error (I've already submitted 2 transcript escalation requests since the letter was submitted 6 wks ago and haven't heard anything yet), or if I should just attach the letter to my secondary apps/send it directly to my schools. I'm only concerned because I don't want schools to say I didn't complete required prereqs in the U.S., therefore I'm ineligble for admission or whatever. The coursework was transferred as equivalent to US courses, AMCAS just didn't process the letter in time for my app to be verified.

Any advice is appreciated!
Was the study abroad program through your school? If so, why aren't the grades on your official transcript? The letter is great, but at the end of the day, med schools might not accept prereqs taken abroad that are not included on your official transcript. How are the classes used to calculate your UG GPA if they are not included on your transcript? @gonnif?

Was the study abroad program through your school? If so, why aren't the grades on your official transcript? The letter is great, but at the end of the day, med schools might not accept prereqs taken abroad that are not included on your official transcript. How are the classes used to calculate your UG GPA if they are not included on your transcript? @gonnif?

The program was sponsored by my school. I honestly have no idea why they don't show up on my transcript, and I can't get a straight answer from anyone at my school. Since the coursework was transferred and used to calculate my undergrad GPA, I asked my counselor to submit a letter to verify that, because I made sure that my classes would transfer over as US equivalents before I went abroad. I read somewhere in the AMCAS guide that I can attach a supplemental letter, if need be. Now, I'm at a loss. I honestly don't know if it's worth my time trying to reach out the AMCAS, or if I should contact each school and let them know what happened.

Reactions: 1 user
The program was sponsored by my school. I honestly have no idea why they don't show up on my transcript, and I can't get a straight answer from anyone at my school. Since the coursework was transferred and used to calculate my undergrad GPA, I asked my counselor to submit a letter to verify that, because I made sure that my classes would transfer over as US equivalents before I went abroad. I read somewhere in the AMCAS guide that I can attach a supplemental letter, if need be. Now, I'm at a loss. I honestly don't know if it's worth my time trying to reach out the AMCAS, or if I should contact each school and let them know what happened.
If it were me, I'd first go back to my school and ask for an explanation as to why the courses aren't appearing on my official transcript, since they are part of my GPA calculation and I was assured that they would transfer over. (If it's not on your transcript, to the outside world it didn't transfer over!) Make sure they know that this could an issue down the road for you regarding medical school matriculation.

Hopefully, you'll be able to convince them to just put the classes on your transcript. Then all the other issues disappear. Good luck!!