America citizen -> Canadian residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

legobikes

bikes made of lego
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American MS3 at an allo school thinking about getting into an Ontario residency program, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible without being a Canadian PR or citizen? I couldn't quite make it clear to myself from what I read on CARMS.

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think you would be eligible but you would be placed in the IMG stream (which also applies to Canadian students studying at medical schools outside of Canada).

Check out: http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml#ontario

(Updated January 21, 2009) - The Ontario Faculties of Medicine and Ontario Ministry of Health & Long-Term Care have agreed to the following policies for the first iteration of the 2009 PGY1 match. It is important to note that individual programs may have specific criteria that are used to review applications. Please carefully review the program specific criteria as well as the provincial criteria listed below.

General
The CaRMS match at Ontario medical schools will be open to both:

* Graduates of LCME/CACMS accredited schools or a school of osteopathic medicine who are Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents and NOT previously registered in a postgraduate medical training program; (CMG) and
* International Medical Graduates (IMG).

First Iteration: There will be two parallel streams (CMG and IMG), with designated positions for each stream. There will be no crossovers or transfers across the two streams.

Second Iteration: All unfilled positions will be committed to the second iteration of CaRMS and will be open to all candidates including graduates of Canadian medical schools (CMGs) and international medical graduates (IMGs) who fulfill the eligibility criteria.

Matched Applicants: On behalf of the Ontario medical schools, once an applicant is matched to an Ontario postgraduate training program, CaRMS will provide their electronic data file to the Ontario Physician Human Resource Data Centre (OPHRDC). OPHRDC will then provide the data to the matched university's postgraduate education office, the provincial licensing body, and the provincial resident organization.

Hey Pete thanks for the response, I think you're right, I can only apply as an IMG. Maybe I should get in touch with specific schools.