American Academy of Opthamology Conference- worth going as a M2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedfella

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth going to the conference in Chicago this year as a M2??
I will be not be presenting... not sure if there a benefit.
I am very interested in optho, btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth going to the conference in Chicago this year as a M2??
I will be not be presenting... not sure if there a benefit.
I am very interested in optho, btw.

if it's a free trip, sure. otherwise, not worth it as an m2.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AAO meeting is not really geared for medical students, and unless you have had an unusual background in ophthalmology or are presenting a paper or poster, it really isn't worth your while. ARVO might be a better experience if you are doing any research; that meeting is in the Spring.

The AAO meeting is not really geared for medical students, and unless you have had an unusual background in ophthalmology or are presenting a paper or poster, it really isn't worth your while. ARVO might be a better experience if you are doing any research; that meeting is in the Spring.

Yah this is true. Between AAO and ARVO, ARVO is moe fun for medical students. AAO is a classy conference - suit and tie affair - ARVO everyone wears sandals and shorts. This may change now that ARVO is in Seattle, but I would pick ARVO to attend over AAO given the choice as an M2

Thanks for your input guys! saves me a couple hundred dollars- no idea why the conference is so expensive...haha

+1 I went to ARVO as an MS2 and had a great time.

This.