American citizen applying to Indian Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

svwtyf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I Indian but am an American citizen born and brought up here. This year I applied to dental schools in the US and did not get in. I am very discouraged.
Can anybody tell me information about applying to dental schools in India? I always planned to live in India after becoming a dentist since I am very close to my family in Mumbai, so I do not mind studying/living there. Does anybody know the procedure and rules for seeking admission for someone like me? I am open to studying anywhere in the country but would prefer schools in Mumbai or Maharashtra.
I would appreciate ANY information. This is all so new to me. Please help and thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

svwtyf said:
Hello all! I Indian but am an American citizen born and brought up here. This year I applied to dental schools in the US and did not get in. I am very discouraged.
Can anybody tell me information about applying to dental schools in India? I always planned to live in India after becoming a dentist since I am very close to my family in Mumbai, so I do not mind studying/living there. Does anybody know the procedure and rules for seeking admission for someone like me? I am open to studying anywhere in the country but would prefer schools in Mumbai or Maharashtra.
I would appreciate ANY information. This is all so new to me. Please help and thanks!!
www.dypatil.com/dental/dentalcollege (mumbai)
www.mahe.com (manipal)
these are the websites u can search into. And you can easily get admission in the NRI quota of private dental colleges

i dont have a lot of input to give,but i think you would be coming under NRI qouta in india(non resident indians).Many private schools have 10-15% of their seats reserved for candidates like you.there are a lots and lots of schools if u will be willing to shell out the $'s,fees will definately be higher for u than normals students.Some schools i can think of right now are BVP Pune,manipal,rammiyah,ambedkar,oxford,in banglore,a b shetty in manglore.look through these links
http://www.dciindia.org/
http://www.dciindia.org/search.asp?text1=&opt=BDSList&list=All&x=9&y=6
U can get some govt.college salso but rules of eligibility vary with state.Basically look for private colleges.Be careful of middle agents and before choosing any college check that the college is recognized by state dental council and dental council of india and specifically that ur seat comes under the recognised category.It may not be required to pass any pre-dental entrance exam but u can check with indiviual college.Generally colleges down south are more proessional as per academics(in my opinion,no offence to north indians ,i am myself a north indian,done my bds in manglore.I ve been through the selection process in both areas and there is a sea of difference in approach, attitude and the way things work in north and south;but I can be wrong too).But there can always be problem of recognition by dci in many private colleges.
all i can say is that u will have to do a lot of research ,choose only good colleges and dont be duped by agents.
good luck

svwtyf said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much, Katie17. I immediately emailed MAHE and DYPatil Vidyapeeth. The MAHE website describes the application procedure, and it seems too easy. Do you have information about it? Would I have to sit for necessary exams, or is everything done for me because I graduated with my American Bachelors degree and already took the DAT test? What kind of NRI students attend MAHE? Thanks for all your help--you are awesome!!

For the MAHE schools in Manipal and Mangalore, does anyone know how competitive the admissions into the BDS program is? The deadline to apply is May 31, 2006, which is pretty soon. Does that mean that students have already applied and are ahead of me? Does anyone have any idea of what kinds of students apply? Are they American NRIs like me, or from Europe or other Asian countries? Please help!!

hey,
u could also look into Bharati vidya peeth dental college and hospital,pune,maharashtra.pune is around 4 hours drive from mumbai.I have studied there and I absolutely love the place.so if u are lookin into a small cosy town with very modern outlook and the dental school with all advanced technologies then BVP is the place to be.I love the place and if u are a party animal the place is for u.its very very safe too.
good luck with ur decision.
take care

starbucksfan said:
hey,
u could also look into Bharati vidya peeth dental college and hospital,pune,maharashtra.pune is around 4 hours drive from mumbai.I have studied there and I absolutely love the place.so if u are lookin into a small cosy town with very modern outlook and the dental school with all advanced technologies then BVP is the place to be.I love the place and if u are a party animal the place is for u.its very very safe too.
good luck with ur decision.
take care

Thanks for the advice. Do you have any information regarding the admissions procedure for NRIs in my situation??

svwtyf said:
For the MAHE schools in Manipal and Mangalore, does anyone know how competitive the admissions into the BDS program is? The deadline to apply is May 31, 2006, which is pretty soon. Does that mean that students have already applied and are ahead of me? Does anyone have any idea of what kinds of students apply? Are they American NRIs like me, or from Europe or other Asian countries? Please help!!
MANIPAL DOES CONDUCT AN ENTRANCE EXAM FOR NRI STUDENTS BUT THAT'S VERY BASIC EXAM M SURE U CAN CLEAR IT EASILY. INFACT THERE R LOTS OF AMERICAN STUDENTS IN MANIPAL PLUS ITS A VERY REPUTED INSTITUTE IN INDIA.
SO GO AHEAD AND APPLY...
GOOD LUCK.

I am pretty sure there is no entrance test for the NRi candidates.

starbucksfan said:
I am pretty sure there is no entrance test for the NRi candidates.

Yeah, according to the MAHE website, there is no exam for NRIs. I am not sure about other schools, however.

LOL. What are you going to do when you graduate from India. You have to struggle again to get admission to a us school otherwise you cant work here in usa. Dont even think about going to India.
svwtyf said:

Hi!
You just got have the $$$$$$ for admission into one of the private dental colleges. If you want a sort of american lifestyle in India then head straight to MANIPAL. You will just love it & the studies too are great at Manipal. Though there are more than 30 good colleges for NRI's. Donot worry about the admission tests, just have the $$$$ ready. PM me if you really need help. Good Luck

Hi, I'm from Manipal, Canadian NRI. You don't have an exam you have to take. Its pretty much you pay and get in, as long as you apply in time.

There is a little bit of an adjustment, cause school here is not like your schooling in the states. Things are different, which you should be prepared for. Because hearing well this is so backwards our BLANK(lecture classes, lecturers, professors, etc. etc.) back home don't do things this way.

You have to supply the proper papers. DAT or your previous degree aren't taken into consideration. But there are a few people that are studying here with degrees from home. I would suggest if you WANT to practice in the US, the 5 years here would have to be followed up with an advanced standing program in the US, thats another 2 years or 3 AFTER writing the NDBE and being accepted into a program, thats something you SHOULD be aware of. This school is not accredited by the WHO, so you have to do the schooling abroad - whether thats the NBDE USA, EE Canada, ILE UK. I had no idea that there are schools in the US that take students after high school and its an extended program as well. So i heard? Pacific something. I dunno.

But there is a good population of NRIs here. Although I've heard the same about Pune. This place is like a village. Its small but most ammenities are here. Pune so I've heard is like a city. I dunno, those are my opinions. You can message me if you have specific questions.

Jess.

Members don't see this ad :)
u are rite.manipal has just a dental school and nothing else.but pune is different.its a very modern city with load and loads of students there.its a very safe place.I spent 5 golden years in pune and I cherish each and every moment of it.

Hi Everyone- I am new to the this website, so please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.
Anyways I have a few questions. I am an American who has a B.S degree in Biomedical Science. After a few changes in my life I have wanted to dental, however I think I might have to go to India to go to Dental School because I think my gpa (science especially) is way too low to get admited into a American Dental school, and I don't want to waste my time hoping that there is a chance to get into a American Dental School. Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody knew the time it would take me to complete Dental school in India, such as in Manipal. I just called them a moment ago, and the lady who answered seemed a bit clueless, but it was probably my fault because I was speaking to her in english. I have already taken all the sciences possible as I am a science major, and was wondering how long it would be to complete dental school in india. I also do want to come back to the US and practice Dental.
Thanks Everybody

Desirani12 said:
, and the lady who answered seemed a bit clueless, but it was probably my fault because I was speaking to her in english. Thanks Everybody

i no spek gud english.but manipal is gud skool.it is very ok.5 ear to dental collage finishing.
practise in usa? you do national boreds 1.it is compitative.tuff to get it.butt you are american.so more skool open for you.you also esily get lawn.ok?

all the vary best of luck :D

hi there,
welcome to the forums!
the answer to your question.....dentistry in india is a 5 years course......4 years plus one year of compulsary rotatory internship!
upon completion of these 5 years, you will be awarded B.D.S.(BACHELOR OF DENTAL SURGERY)Degree.
then u need to take up your national boards,toefl and then get your credentials evaluated by E.C.E.!
then..go ahead and apply for an advanced placement program!
hope this answers your querries!
Desirani12 said:
Hi Everyone- I am new to the this website, so please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.
Anyways I have a few questions. I am an American who has a B.S degree in Biomedical Science. After a few changes in my life I have wanted to dental, however I think I might have to go to India to go to Dental School because I think my gpa (science especially) is way too low to get admited into a American Dental school, and I don't want to waste my time hoping that there is a chance to get into a American Dental School. Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody knew the time it would take me to complete Dental school in India, such as in Manipal. I just called them a moment ago, and the lady who answered seemed a bit clueless, but it was probably my fault because I was speaking to her in english. I have already taken all the sciences possible as I am a science major, and was wondering how long it would be to complete dental school in india. I also do want to come back to the US and practice Dental.
Thanks Everybody

:laugh: come on pal...give her a break!
D(M)ental said:
i no spek gud english.but manipal is gud skool.it is very ok.5 ear to dental collage finishing.
practise in usa? you do national boreds 1.it is compitative.tuff to get it.butt you are american.so more skool open for you.you also esily get lawn.ok?

D(M)ental said:

:laugh: good one....
hope she dint mean it that way :sleep:

D(M)ental said:

:laugh: :laugh:

D(M)ental said:

all the vary best of luck :D[/QU
good reply :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mekha said:
D(M)ental said:

all the vary best of luck :D[/QU
good reply :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thank you fido,muscleman,cheer_up,mekha.
I really did not like the insinuation that Indians do not speak English well.
I did not mean to hurt anyone :)