Indian Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdesi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently immigrated from India and I have a degree from Dental College in India. What are my requirements to practice here in the USA? Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to become a DDS you have to get an ECE evaluation, take NBDE 1/NBDE 2 + TOEFL(aim to get 100+ score on ibt) and apply to 2 year International dental/advanced standing programs this will allow you to practice anywhere in the US (I believe NY has some extra requirements)

If you want to pursue a residency and not general dentistry those usually require taking the NBDE/GRE/ADAT depending on the program then applying through PASS and/or MATCH... going directly into residency limits the states you may practice in... there are a handful of states that allow this.

The most versatile way to practice anywhere is the first option, both are highly competitive and you should do things to pursue your profile outside of those exams. If your GPA is low you will have to do much more to compensate (many people pursue a masters in public health, oral bio, etc. - although not required)

Reactions: 1 user