American Citizen with Foreign Bachelor's Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbomba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, weird to be back on this forum as I'm getting ready to finish residency, but this is a question for a younger cousin of mine. He and his family are American citizens, originally from NY. His parents moved to Spain from New York when he was in middle school for his father's work. He ended up completing his bachelors degree in the EU from a good university. He is thinking of medical school now but unsure how likely it will be to gain acceptance with a degree outside the US despite the fact he is an American citizen, fluent in English, etc.

Anyone who is closer to the process able to weigh in? Appreciate it.

@Goro ?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, weird to be back on this forum as I'm getting ready to finish residency, but this is a question for a younger cousin of mine. He and his family are American citizens, originally from NY. His parents moved to Spain from New York when he was in middle school for his father's work. He ended up completing his bachelors degree in the EU from a good university. He is thinking of medical school now but unsure how likely it will be to gain acceptance with a degree outside the US despite the fact he is an American citizen, fluent in English, etc.

Anyone who is closer to the process able to weigh in? Appreciate it.

@Goro ?
You can feel free to PM for more info, but I am a current applicant with foreign bachelor degree. I had to take post-bacc credits in the US. At minimum, 30 credits (1 whole year) of post bacc is required in a US university, preferably a 4-yr uni.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to reiterate it is medical school specific. While the standard rule is 90 US credits; when it comes to foreign degrees it varies widely
some will accept the degree and prereqs
some will not accept the degree
some will not will accept prereqs done overseas
some require 30 or 60 credits
some may take an SMP.

I stopped updating my list of this some 10 years ago
They wouldn’t accept coursework from Oxbridge?
But McGill’s OK apparently. Americans who want to study 4 years abroad while keeping their med school options open can opt for Canadian unis and presumably foreign campuses of US unis like Yale/Singapore.

They wouldn’t accept coursework from Oxbridge?

It probably has more to do with having a one-size-fits-all policy (e.g. only accepting coursework from US + Canada) than going case-by-case on school reputation.

It probably has more to do with having a one-size-fits-all policy (e.g. only accepting coursework from US + Canada) than going case-by-case on school reputation.
Op's friend would probably have to check the specific school website for those details. When I applied, some schools did accept UK classes/degrees, but most of them were only accepting degrees from US and Canada or some combination of credits completed in the US. My final school list had schools with US school requirements from 30-60, but schools like Mayo and Jefferson for eg, only accept US Bachelor's