This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joanna_2020

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for advices on whether I should go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree to look more competitive?

I have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in music, graduated in 2021. With GPA 3.654 for the undergraduate and 3.9 during the graduate school. But after working for a while I realize my true dream is to become a physician. I have taken one year of biology and chemistry in the past but that’s it. For those biology and chemistry courses I have a 4.0 gpa. Should I go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree or just take the prerequisite courses before applying?

Also trying to decide whether to go to a higher ranked private school (more expensive) or go to a public school. Will it make any difference?

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taking the prereqs will be enough!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take the pre reqs Music majors are interesting applicants
Thank you! I am deciding between a higher ranked private school (more expensive) and a public school. Do you think the better ranked school will make a difference?

I agree to just finish your pre-reqs. You could do via a formal post-bac program or an informal one (like enrolling in your local university’s open university)

Unless you’re doing a formal program, I don’t think it matters at all where you take the course.

One of my med school classmates was in a similar situation and just did her pre-reqs all at a local community college. Apparently it’s not recommended (compared to taking them at a 4yr school), but she didn’t know and obviously got accepted!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I am looking for advices on whether I should go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree to look more competitive?

I have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in music, graduated in 2021. With GPA 3.654 for the undergraduate and 3.9 during the graduate school. But after working for a while I realize my true dream is to become a physician. I have taken one year of biology and chemistry in the past but that’s it. For those biology and chemistry courses I have a 4.0 gpa. Should I go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree or just take the prerequisite courses before applying?

Also trying to decide whether to go to a higher ranked private school (more expensive) or go to a public school. Will it make any difference?

Thanks in advance!!
Just take the pre-reqs. You don't need another bachelors. Go to the lower cost program.

Reactions: 4 users