This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Joanna_2020

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am looking for advices on whether I should go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree to look more competitive?

I have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in music, graduated in 2021. With GPA 3.654 for the undergraduate and 3.9 during the graduate school. But after working for a while I realize my true dream is to become a physician. I have taken one year of biology and chemistry in the past but that’s it. For those biology and chemistry courses I have a 4.0 gpa. Should I go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree or just take the prerequisite courses before applying?

Also trying to decide whether to go to a higher ranked private school (more expensive) or go to a public school. Will it make any difference?

Thanks in advance!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree to just finish your pre-reqs. You could do via a formal post-bac program or an informal one (like enrolling in your local university’s open university)

Unless you’re doing a formal program, I don’t think it matters at all where you take the course.

One of my med school classmates was in a similar situation and just did her pre-reqs all at a local community college. Apparently it’s not recommended (compared to taking them at a 4yr school), but she didn’t know and obviously got accepted!
 
Hi, I am looking for advices on whether I should go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree to look more competitive?

I have a Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in music, graduated in 2021. With GPA 3.654 for the undergraduate and 3.9 during the graduate school. But after working for a while I realize my true dream is to become a physician. I have taken one year of biology and chemistry in the past but that’s it. For those biology and chemistry courses I have a 4.0 gpa. Should I go back to school and get a second bachelor’s degree or just take the prerequisite courses before applying?

Also trying to decide whether to go to a higher ranked private school (more expensive) or go to a public school. Will it make any difference?

Thanks in advance!!
Just take the pre-reqs. You don't need another bachelors. Go to the lower cost program.