American DVM practicing in Europe and abroad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lailanni

c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am at an American school working towards my DVM.

If I eventually wanted to practice in England or New Zealand, would I be able to? Are there many additional tests I would have to take?

I'm not even sure where I would look this sort of thing up...

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

gone

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My impression, based on club scale and a couple of anecdotes, is that it's about US$36,000 per year for new grads. Five years out, about US$56,000. The exchange rate is really in the US' favor at the moment, but even at the Kiwi dollar's peak, the NZ vet wage is comparatively low, and cost of living is the same or higher than in the US. A fair number of NZ students go off to the UK to make money. Of course, I could just be hearing about low end salaries, so take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Yeah Laura, that sounds about comparable to Australia too... except that looking on google, some quick numbers that keep popping up are $35k-$90k (which would obviously vary on experience). Those numbers are in line with what we have heard from a speaker from a veterinary employment agency as well--and my figures are in Australian Dollars.

A Univ of Melbourne questionnaire reports that the median salary for Graduates from 2003-2007 who were in full-time work for 2007 (average 46 hours/week) was AUD$40,000/year.

Even if the exchange rate was equal to that of the US at the moment, the cost of living here, coupled with student loans is almost going to make it impossible to stay in Australia should I decide that's what I want to do. *shrug*

Lailanni if you want a contact to look into for 'job placements' you may want to start with a company valled VetLink (www.vetlink.com.au). They place people for Locum or long-term employment in the UK/Oz/NZ/US/Singapore and would be a good source to contact or look around for info ;)

Looks like in order to practice in the UK you have to be a member of RCVS...and these are the requirements for joining for a USA-trained vet:
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=90397

Speaking as your devoted lab partner: given your weather preferences I would recommend that you look into Singapore or Australia and not the UK or NZ ;)

A Univ of Melbourne questionnaire reports that the median salary for Graduates from 2003-2007 who were in full-time work for 2007 (average 46 hours/week) was AUD$40,000/year.

Wow that really sucks. There's no way an international student would be able to pay back loans and have some sort of quality of life on that salary. Come to Canada! I'm graduating this year and getting offers in the 70-75,000 range.

Looks like in order to practice in the UK you have to be a member of RCVS...and these are the requirements for joining for a USA-trained vet:
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=90397

Speaking as your devoted lab partner: given your weather preferences I would recommend that you look into Singapore or Australia and not the UK or NZ ;)

Your school might have RCVS qualifications?

I know uni Melb has both RCVS and AVMA accreditation.

I remember awhile ago I looked at the statistics, and for a vet who has been out in practice awhile makes about the same amount as a GP who has been out for the same amount of time (think maybe 10 years?).

So what is the "normal" pay for a veterinarian in New Zealand? My husband and I are also considering moving/practicing outside of the United States and New Zealand is one place we are considering. Thanks!

Speaking as someone who just moved back to the states after living in NZ for a couple years...my advice is to 1.) visit NZ BEFORE you move there and 2.) seriously consider your financial situation, especially if you have student loans, before you go. 50K NZD is considered a very decent salary, which equates to about 27K in US Dollars.

A lot of expats I met over there were really disappointed after moving there. I think people think it's paradise in the sun, what they dont realize is that the weather is sort of like Washington state or Scotland (a lot of Kiwis are actually of Scottish decent). Though it still is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, it is cold and rains nearly everyday for most of the year. I lived in Wellington on the North Island in case anyone is curious. My fiance had an engineering job there and we ended up having to move back because we couldn't make our student loan payments even though he was making $65K NZD (which is quite a lot there). We don't owe a ton of money back in the states, but with the exchange rate, it was like throwing half our payment away every month. At that rate, it would have taken us FOREVER to pay off our debts and we'd realistically never be able to buy a house.

So we moved back to square our debts, put me through vet school, and then find another adventure. If you want my two cents, visit both NZ and Australia before deciding on a move. I love love love the people in NZ and the scenery is amazing if you're all bundled up...but Australia is warm, sunny, and you can actually swim in the ocean without a head-to-toe wetsuit :)

I'm from Washington state (the western half - mild climate, very rainy) and have been to both NZ and Austraila. NZ reminded me a lot of home! Wonderful places! (I was a bit scared of all the potential deadly bugs and snakes in Austraila though...) I would love to spend more time there some day. I'll just have to see what my debt racks up to be....

Hello. I realize this is an old thread, but I found it searching for "Can a US vet practice in Europe" on google. The island of Vis, in Croatia, is a paradise, but lacks a vet, and I'm trying to find someone who might be interested in trying to set up a practice here.

Hello. I realize this is an old thread, but I found it searching for "Can a US vet practice in Europe" on google. The island of Vis, in Croatia, is a paradise, but lacks a vet, and I'm trying to find someone who might be interested in trying to set up a practice here.

So many things would have to be sorted out before this could happen. Just immediately off the top of my head:

What is Croatia's rules and laws on foreigners operating a business? Can they? What about owning land? Realty?

What is Croatia's rules and laws on foreigners practicing veterinary medicine in their country? Licenses? Pharmaceuticals access? Insurance - health/dental/life/malpractice?

Quality of life? Housing? What about children - schools? Cost of living? Expected pay and benefits?

What is Croatia's rules and laws as far as foreigners working in their country? Taxes? Licenses? By profession?

What is Croatia's rules and laws governing residency or even citizenship? Is dual citizenship even a thing granted by Croatia? Many Americans are not keen to renounce their US citizenship, even if expat and having to pay those associated taxes. Are there visa preferences by occupations that are hard to fill in your country like others? What about age restrictions? Heath restrictions?

What is Croatia's rules and laws as far as non-veterinarian having investment in a veterinary practice? There are states in the US where it is okay, others where possible only under specific circumstances/familial relationships, and states where it is illegal. I pose this one because who is going to set up a veterinary practice for this hypothetical veterinarian? Or do you expect someone to have the capital outlay just burning a hole in their pocket with a love of sandy beaches to waltz in and build as well as start up a ground up veterinary practice in a foreign country?

Species? If you are expecting mixed or large animal skills, you're search just became that much more of an up hill battle.

Emergency/critical care provision? What are the rules and laws governing? Here in the US if you can't refer it, you have to provide it. Good luck finding a solo doctor who is game as 3K people are plenty enough to keep him/her permanently sleep deprived trying to uphold that requirement if the same in Croatia.

Professional staff? Where's that going to come from? School educated technicians - don't see how any would just be hanging out in an area, waiting to be hired, with zero veterinary presence.

There are many rural areas in the US who would like a local veterinarian, too. They rarely get filled. I am sure the same applies across the globe. So what makes your tiny island the honey pot sweeter than anywhere else?

You could also look to countries who are actively doing what you are just in the dreaming stage of; see where they are at. What are they offering. If I am recollecting, correctly Guam is one example - that have or once upon a time had a deal where they had a clinic who advertised for something along the lines of 6 month/12 month temporary and/or rotating positions where they sponsored the doctor and did all the heavy lifting paperwork-wise to get the doctor on-island as well as provided housing.

Or even starting with your local veterinary medicine program. If you build it, they will come sort of thing. Whether as part of the school's curriculum as a teaching satellite facility or as a private/non-profit(?) entity. Whether as an occasional, but regular thing (e.g., clinics every two or four weeks), or a part-time position, or a full-time position.

Or contracting with a mainland veterinarian if you set up a plug-and-play sort of situation for them. Even if it's just for regular immunization clinics. Or surgical days. A lot of remote villages in places like Alaska do that. Contacting entities that set up such would give you more insight into how that works. RAVS is one US example of one that's for the poor/low income, but the organization is what you'd be interested in learning about vs. how to pay for it all - HSVMA-RAVS: WELCOME.

Another option is to create a "home-grown" veterinarian where the island collectively advertises and grooms some local kid to complete their veterinary education and return for whatever minimum period of time under a contract. The theory behind this is it is for long enough that they settle down and will not want to leave the area once the contractual time has been fulfilled. You are, of course, back to building the practice for them, but it may be an option.

I am not trying to discourage you, but all that is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. It isn't as simple as finding a doctor who'd move to Vis to turn your idea into reality. Hell, I'd probably move to Vis. But only if everything was on the up and up and just so and checked out after much scrutiny. Even then, to move there permanently? Probably not. That's not something any foreigner can determine until they've been somewhere, for some time.

Last edited: