USMLE/COMLEX American national trained overseas

Started by KV2022
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KV2022

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone.

I am French and American.
Just finished my residency in France, so I'm a French doctor now. General Practitioner.
I would like to practice in the US now.
I know that I would have to go through USMLEs and Matching AND do another residency.
But is it the only way? As a US national, what would be the easiest / shortest way to practice medicine in the US, other than waiting another 4+ years (USMLEs, new residency...)?

For instance, they have an "Alternate Entry Path" for anesthesiologists. Allowing international medical graduates to qualify for certification in anesthesiology.
Maybe they have such programs for GP's?
Maybe some states have a special program in this matter?
I am open to both MD and DO pathways.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
 
Doesn't seem like you got any replies but in case you're still looking for your answers...

No. There's no real alternative. The program you posted still requires 4 years of training in a fellowship. Some highly trained foreign physicians, as the program references, have a way to practice without doing residency, but only at the academic place sponsoring them and normally still under the tutelage of an academic program for a period of time if not forever.

You could quickly take the two step exams you need (3-4 mo of studying, applying for exams, scheduling them), apply for residency next year (match in 2024), do at least one year of residency so you can get a license in a state that only requires one year, then you could at least be a legally licensed physician. Or stay another two years and get board certified.