My story - orthopedic surgeon trained in mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcastrog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
IMG HERE

But not only a Mexican doctor pursuing the American dream, but an orthopedic surgeon that was trained in Mexico, and plans to move to the us.

I always planned this since I was a student, but somewhere I went off track. I finished my studies and then got into orthopedic surgery in my country (best speciality:), but then, while I was in the third year of the residency, I had flash backs of my dreams and asked myself, why am I not doing what I always wanted to do?! What am I going to tell myself when I get old? Hell, I was 28 when this happened to me, could had been 50 when it hit me.

So I went online and gathered information of what I needed to accomplish this. Also had to study everything back. You know, when you get used to fix fractures, you forget how to detect a murmur. The truth is that I had not had used a stethoscope since 2012. I haven't heard about basic science since I got into residency.

But this orthopedic surgeon is no ordinary doctor. I have been reading lots of posts here about some kids getting anxious about their scores at their school drills for the real steps, some other crying about their failures or their low scores. Meanwhile I got my hands on some (bootlegged) first aid book for step 1 and master the boards for step 2 CK, and read, and read every word on them, while also attending my hospital as resident, doing night shifts every 4 days, doing surgeries, and doing 100 hours a week. I don't have to say that my school did not gave me diagnostic exams for the USMLE.

Took NBME and got 175, and UWSA was 184, but I could not reschedule. So I was up, I appeared for step 1 in my country, and yes, it was horrible, I felt that I failed it. Somehow failing would have been good for me, since I could just tell me that I tried to accomplish my dreams, but maybe I just was not fit to be a doctor in the us and walk my way. But no, three weeks later I learned that I passed, barely (210). Totally unexpected, but was completely pumped.

Step 2 CK was more tricky. When I was preparing for the exam I was also preparing for the orthopedic surgery boards exam, and also doing my thesis, which is a final investigation work our university asks us in order to graduate. And doing night shifts every 4 days and 100 hrs a week.

I always thought it was going to be an easier exam compared to Step 1, since it is clinic oriented. I am a doctor, its been 3 years since I started my residency, clinical medicine was going to easy.

WRONG.

NMBE 190, UWSA 209. These were better scores then last time. But the exam was way harder (hardest exam ever). By this time I had already passed all my exams in my country and was a full certified orthopedic surgeon in my country, so I kind of forgot my exam thinking that I didn't need to do more steps (if I failed). But then again, three weeks later #PASS (217)

Right now I'm just a step away from my certification (biggest dream). Probably some guys with good intentions will come and tell me I won't be able to match in orthopedic surgery with these scores, but thankfully completing a residency has made me a better professional and confident in myself, so I'm sure I'll find a way inside. Hell, I went back to the basics and relearn how to read and EKG after almost finishing my program. Even I didn't think this was possible. So from now on I will fully trust myself, because everything is possible.

And this is what I want you to learn from my story. Everything is possible. You just have to have a strategy and be confident with yourself. Don't let all these posts let you down telling you that because of an exam you just cannot match in whatever science makes your life complete. There are more important things within your mind and heart that are better than a number. The USMLE just certifies that you have the minimum knowledge to be a doctor, but medicine is not only about knowledge. Some wise program directors know this, and if you somehow prove that you even with you low scores you are more valuable for the team than some cocky high-scored prick then you are doing excellent.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Saludos desde Puerto Rico!
Thanks for sharing your story, dcastrog. I didn't do well on my Step1 either, and I'm sure it will affect my interviews. However I think I've recognized in time the importance of the standarized tests and am giving #1 priority to my performance on the Step 2 CK. I think it's working too, last Shelf I took in Pediatrics was 85, 1 SD above the average. Still I'm aware that getting into my residency of choice won't be easy.
I've heard several stories from residents and attendings who had struggles..."but look where I am now." Helps me let go of the tension and focus on improving.