algosdoc

algosdoc
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2005
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
From the forums at the American Pain Foundation, the patients voice in the US struggle for adequate pain control: The pain foundation board voted on May 3, 2012 to dissolve the operation due to financial contraints that cannot be resolved. This is indeed a sad day for pain medicine.

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
:(

jsaul

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
Status
couldn't happen to a better orginazation, good riddance.... this group was contaced by a patient whom I would not prescribe opiates. this group then protested to my state board and got me in trouble for NOT prescribing opiates.

Last edited:

specepic

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2008
New England
Status
Attending Physician
From the forums at the American Pain Foundation, the patients voice in the US struggle for adequate pain control: The pain foundation board voted on May 3, 2012 to dissolve the operation due to financial contraints that cannot be resolved. This is indeed a sad day for pain medicine.
are you joking? aren't they a 'pro-opioid pt rights' group?

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
couldn't happen to a better orginazation, good riddance.... this group was contaced by a patient whom I would not prescribe opiates. this group then protested to my state board and got me in trouble for NOT prescribing opiates.
i always thought this was some dumb "opiates for all" group...am i mistaken?

jsaul

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2005
Status
yes it is. They crucified me to the state board for not prescribing opiates to a patient who in turn complained to them. the state board then got to me. all because of them

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
OP
algosdoc

algosdoc

algosdoc
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2005
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
They are indeed controversial and I have pointed that out to the organization several times and the reasons why. At best, the APF has acted to work towards certain massive initiatives that will benefit all pain physicians including developing guidelines for spinal cord stimulation and intrathecal pumps after exhaustive review. At worst they have been the mouthpiece of drug companies operating at less than arms length. But the issue of their demise will leave patients without a voice since the NPF and APF merged operations.

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
They are indeed controversial and I have pointed that out to the organization several times and the reasons why. At best, the APF has acted to work towards certain massive initiatives that will benefit all pain physicians including developing guidelines for spinal cord stimulation and intrathecal pumps after exhaustive review. At worst they have been the mouthpiece of drug companies operating at less than arms length. But the issue of their demise will leave patients without a voice since the NPF and APF merged operations.
It would seem it served little more than another way for the board directors and president to make money without having to see patients... I'm not sure of any negative effects of its dissolution.

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
controversial?? It looks like a front for pharma to advertise under the guise of academic ivory towers. Throw money around and have a professor call it "responsible opioid prescribing" to justify it.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2011
Middle of Oregon
Status
Attending Physician
Jeebus! That's worse than my worse nightmare.

Advocacy in Pain Medicine needs to be THOUGHTFUL not enabling. For years I've taken exception to this very issue: the perspective of pain medicine is way too much palliative/advocative and too little rehabilitative.

OP
algosdoc

algosdoc

algosdoc
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2005
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, the organization drank the kool-aid, and after that it was a opioid exhibition at their annual meetings with towering displays of how each narcotic is better than the next. The SCS boys also were heavily invested. But the opioid sellers are also represented at many other major meetings also, therefore the AAPM should not feel alone. Yet, the opioid problem is indeed overwhelming in this country, primarily due to pill sharing between friends and the friend who is sharing so easily accessing opioids (81% see only one doctor). Physicians need to employ tools to stop this out of control sharing, prescribe fewer pills (less to share), stop accepting those that were discharged from another practice for substance abuse, check the PMP, and perform pill counts and UDS.

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician

Gauss

Damnit Jim!
15+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
the drug companies will use an army of lawyers and pay as much as is asked of them. But who will they hang over this? Senate finance committee likes to publicly bludgeon people during hearings

Jcm800

10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
No kidding.

They are also going after JC. It's about time.

I can not tell you how much disdain I have for JC - they have NO culpability. Maybe now they will have to answer to some of their actions.
[/URL]
Lets leave religion out of this please