american physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tasteestuff

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is an american radiologist from top tier american medical school who just completed pediatric radiology fellowship at Harvard.

He is married to a canadian girl and they are wondering whether they have an option to work in Canada. (hopefully in big cities ie. TO, Vancouver)

Can you tell me if this is possible?
If it is, what does he need to do? any canadian licensing system he needs to go through?

He asked me this and I had no idea... Hoping you guys can give me some detailed info.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

YES. It has been done. Look at the hospital for sick kids. They have many American doctors. Also I believe it is much easier if you are going to work in a hospital.

Just contact the college of Phys in the province... (BC or ON) and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
any other info?? can anyone help??

thanks in advance

Tasteestuff said:
any other info?? can anyone help??

thanks in advance

Perhaps this will be of some use.

The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
774 Echo Drive
Ottawa ON Canada
K1S 5N8

Telephone: 613-730-8177; toll free 1-800-668-3740
Fax: 613-730-8830

docbill said:
Just contact the college of Phys in the province... (BC or ON) and ask.

Foreign (post-residency) docs are hired all the time in Canada. Oftentimes, the job precedes the license. For example, if your friend is hired by a Canadian hospital, the administration there will help get him licensed, which should be no problem. Sometimes the initial license is "provisional" or "temporary," and becomes a full license after a specific number of years in practice here. I think a US physician would probably qualify for a full license, though, since the educational system & standards are very similar.

All these rules vary by province; they are set by the provincial College of Physicians & Surgeons. A quick call to their office would answer 99% of your questions. They will likely say that an American physician hired to work in a Canadian job will have no trouble getting licensed or getting a work visa (and eventually immigrating, if he wants).