American University of Health Sciences (AUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknowngirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any information on this school? I looked at their website but there wasn't much information on it... I know it's not accredited but do you guys think this is a bit risky? Should this just be my back up? All schools must start off somewhere...

I set up an appointment and a campus tour, but they have not sent me the date yet...

What do you guys think?

http://auhs.edu/
^In Signal Hill, CA

Members don't see this ad.

thanks i just requested info as well. did not know about this. didnt't really want to stay local, but worth a shot for me if they get pre candidate status

Hey! I, too, just sent in to request some information via email. I received a brief letter from the school in the mail today saying that the program will begin next summer in 2012...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I, too, just sent in to request some information via email. I received a brief letter from the school in the mail today saying that the program will begin next summer in 2012...

I went to their website. It said "1st class starts in Fall 2012"
But i don't even see any application list.

I went to their website. It said "1st class starts in Fall 2012"
But i don't even see any application list.

I contacted them a while ago and they did not seem confident at all about starting in Fall 2012...

I contacted them a while ago and they did not seem confident at all about starting in Fall 2012...

the school is a private college. they keep sending me email about their BS in Pharmaceutical .

Anyone know any information on this school? I looked at their website but there wasn't much information on it... I know it's not accredited but do you guys think this is a bit risky? Should this just be my back up? All schools must start off somewhere...

I set up an appointment and a campus tour, but they have not sent me the date yet...

What do you guys think?

http://auhs.edu/
^In Signal Hill, CA

thanks i just requested info as well. did not know about this. didnt't really want to stay local, but worth a shot for me if they get pre candidate status
If you guys go to http://www.acpe-accredit.org/, you will see the process of new applications as well as schools with candidates, pre-candidates, and probational school. Sadly AUHS was denied campus visit for this coming year, so they won't have any chances to get their act together to take in any students in 2012. I applied for their Master in clinical research as my back up, and got really really shocked. The counselor I talked to was a nursing adviser ( Not sure how I had to talk to her to get into their Master program). No interviews, only application, didn't even take GRE, and they kept calling me to invite me every week to attend their upcoming class. The funny thing was when I declined my application after getting accepted for pharmacy schools. She was like, in her exact words: "What is a degree in Pharm.D?" "Is it a Master degree?" "Is it as high as our Master in clinical research?" I was like think "WTH?" Then she finished with "Do you know that we are opening a school of pharmacy here? if you go to our Master program, you can later move up!". I know she's an adviser for the BS in Nursing, but this is just too much. And yes this happened in Jan 2011, Not 2009.
The ACPE is getting tougher at giving out pre-candidates for new schools (There are too many of them). I think the new school in the Bay Area was already denied pre-candidates, or they withdrew their application before it actually happened. So be very careful with new schools.

Last edited:
^ lol thanks for the info. This makes me laugh and sad at the same time because this school is always on the radio promoting their pharmacy program and trying to get high school kids into their 3 year bs program saying that if they graduate with a 3.0 gpa they are guaranteed a seat for their pharm school. Knowing how many uninformed ppl probably don't know about accreditation already signed up their Kids lol

AUHS located in a calm neighborhood in Signal Hill, California, parking is good and staff is very warming and welcoming. I am a BSN Cohort8 student. The school is very accommodating to the individual and teachers are there for you every step of the way providing excellent education and confidence. So far my experience in the school has been great not only making friends with classmates but also staff. What is good about the school is that most of the classes are in a reasonable size, and better interactions with your instructors. The facts are there is no waiting list, and the cost is higher than that at public schools.

lol

I am undergrad student from Los Angeles, seeking a Bachelor's degree in nursing. As I was searching and visiting nursing schools and programs I came across American University of Health Sciences, what caught my eye was that one could earn their BSN in minimum of two years! I researched the school and decided to inquire more information. A counselor at the university right away helped and answered all the questions I had and gave me a tour of the school. Right away I knew I wanted to attend this school because it had everything I looked for; one-on-one attention from the professors, small size classrooms, professionals with high degrees in the field, and a good passing percentage of those who take the NCLEX! Now, as a student AUHS has been helping me become a good student and above all it is preparing me to become a great nurse!
Lol what's up with these joke posts..

I'm in the BSN program (cohort 10). My experience has been a mixed bag. While some of the professors clearly lecture from the slides, some are more passionate. My earlier classes were a bit crowded, which wasn't very fun, but class sizes gradually got smaller as the year went on. The staff overall has been pretty good. Financial Aid was pretty helpful and the admissions lady (Dina) was really great. Just like other schools, I've had frustrations and I've had good moments. Your experience is what you make it to be. The point is this school will get me to where I want to be, so I take the good and the bad.
Wow another BS post. Mods need to take these stupid posts down.

AUHS actually has a lot to offer in terms of educating student nurses and preparing them for the nursing field. I recently graduated and I passed the NCLEX exam the first time I took it. If you ask me, it speaks volume about the quality of education that is offered to student nurses. For those that are not convinced about how equipped the school is and whether it is up to standard, you can visit the http://rn.ca.gov webpage to check the NCLEX pass rate. What I must add is that AUHS is a fairly new university that is striving to be at the level of other universities such as CSUs that have been established for decades. The university is accredited, meaning that the courses are transferrable. CCNE just visited and said the school met all 4 standard categories. Nonetheless, the nursing program is superb in that it prepares students for the ultimate goal of passing the NCLEX-RN.
Reported.

AUHS is relatively a new nursing school. From what I experienced so far, the school was somewhat unorganized. However, as the weeks went by, it got better. Every school have good and bad sides and I would say that AUHS has a lot of good sides. AUHS is a small private school. You will be with your group throughout the program. They will be your family for the next 3 years (age difference doesn't matter). The advantage there is that you and your group can help each other to survive each quarter! The feeling of being the new student won't matter to you once you start. The professors are great. They really want you to learn and pass the class so they encourage students to communicate with them. Classes may be overwhelming since it's an accelerated nursing program, but the professors are there for you and there are tutoring as well. You can do anything as long as you are dedicated to your studies. AUHS is a private Christian school, but students here are mix. The school does not discriminate other race and religion so that's a good thing. AUHS is a private school so it's expensive. Tuition ranges between 80,000 to 94,000. Students apply for the sub/unsub government loans and parents apply for the PLUS loan. If the government loans don't cover your expenses, you can always apply for a private loan. Education is a great investment so by the time you graduate as a BSN, you will be earning a lot more once you start working.

Seriously????

I hate to see negative reviews about AUHS on here because I have had such a positive experience with the school. What most people don't say who are unhappy is, "I failed out of the program and I am now projecting my internal disappointment onto the school." Another thing no one really knows, is that passing rates change and the BRN post those rates based on the 1st attempt of the class per year and class size. If you received different info regarding the passing rate when you visited, it's probably because there was a new cycle of students and a new pass rate when you checked BRN. Another point that goes unmentioned is that some students, who were overconfident on the first try and failed, passed on their second attempt and are now working at top name facilities with little regard for the first attempt which reflects negatively on the school. I always remember this quote when it comes to keeping a positive outlook at school and on life in general, "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself." Good luck to you on finding the right program for you as an individual and always make decisions for yourself based on your own experience.
Reported.

I'm part of the nursing program here at AUHS. I have enjoyed my experienced thus far. The school is small but it's steadily growing. They have pretty good clinical sites ranging from Kaiser Permanent South Bay, Torrance Memorial, Metropolitan, Fountain Valley, Garden Grove. The Dean of the school is a PhD holder from UCLA and all the professors either have a masters or PhD. Their teaching is solid. Sometimes there are bit of mis communication and misunderstandings. What I really like about this school is that it's flexible enough to work a full time or part time hospital job. Now that's key if you work as a LVN or CNA in a hospital and get your BSN well you just ensure yourself nursing spot since you already have a foot in the door. I work at 2 acute hospital settings and still able to get pretty good grades. They have ATI system which keeps the students on their toes and have Kaplan NCLEX review when your about to take NCLEX. So far our latest cohort that graduated has all passed their NCLEX, so that's a solid sign. The way I see it is if you are really proactive in seeking a job you will find one. Overall the school is solid and I'm pleased with the direction I'm heading.
Reported

If you really want to be successful in life you would do everything for it. So for me, I don't care how much money I am going to spend for school. It's education. So expect that you will be spending. And education will be yours forever. No one could get that from you. That's your success!. Don't think about the money. Think about what you are going to be after 3.5 years. For me, everything will be worth it. I am just being practical too. AUHS doesn't have waiting list. So, you could finish your program a lot faster. I don't want to go to City Colleges and wait. It will just waste my time. At AUHS, time will not be wasted. Think about going to City Colleges, how many years are you going to wait? Instead of waiting you should have just enrolled at AUHS and get done with everything. Then you will work and will be able to pay off for your loans. I am so happy and contented at AUHS. I don't have any regrets going here. Everyone is very approachable and helpful. They really want you to be successful. As a whole, it is still up to you want you to be in the future. If you do well then you will get what you want. So if you decide to go to AUHS, expect that you will be busy spending your 3.5 years studying.

If you really want to be successful in life you would do everything for it. So for me, I don't care how much money I am going to spend for school. It's education. So expect that you will be spending. And education will be yours forever. No one could get that from you. That's your success!. Don't think about the money. Think about what you are going to be after 3.5 years. For me, everything will be worth it. I am just being practical too. AUHS doesn't have waiting list. So, you could finish your program a lot faster. I don't want to go to City Colleges and wait. It will just waste my time. At AUHS, time will not be wasted. Think about going to City Colleges, how many years are you going to wait? Instead of waiting you should have just enrolled at AUHS and get done with everything. Then you will work and will be able to pay off for your loans. I am so happy and contented at AUHS. I don't have any regrets going here. Everyone is very approachable and helpful. They really want you to be successful. As a whole, it is still up to you want you to be in the future. If you do well then you will get what you want. So if you decide to go to AUHS, expect that you will be busy spending your 3.5 years studying.
Reported

Hi, I just attended today July 13, 2013 their Open House and was very impressed with their Director of Admissions, Dina Hsu. She was open, honest and very passionate about the program, the costs, the rigors of the Nursing program. All of the people who attended (about 20) all agreed about her enthusiasm of wanting us to succeed. She is very hands on with our questions and concerns and the whole staff are all very friendly and helpful. I know there might be some flaws and some concerns with other reviews but my advice is to find out for yourself and meet the Director of Admissions and the staff. This is a new school and as long as they are in good standing with all their accreditation I say go for it!