Americlerkship Experience Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capri1988

Reaction score
I want to share with everyone the awful experience and the nightmare I am experiencing with Americlerskhip. I will briefly describe the issue, so everyone knows the reason why I am taking this company to court, and do not recommend them to do an externship.

In April this year, I arranged with Americlerkship to do an externship at Larkin community hospital in Miami, starting date: July 1st. One month later (on May 11) I matched into a residency program, I rapidly contacted Americlerkship to let them know that unfortunately, I won’t be able to initiate the externship at Larkin community hospital, at that time I was advised to initiate the cancellation process.

I don’t want to make this story long, Americlerkship is refusing to refund 13,000 doll that I paid with a credit card, stating that: ”they have absorbed 100% the cost of the externship” I’ve been researching information and find out that the Program Director of Internal Medicine at Larkin community hospital got paid 7200 dolls out of the 13000 dolls I paid. At this point, I don’t know If they asked him for that money, or he kept it, but the point is that they refuse to refund it back into my credit card.

Bellow, I will post a fragment of the contract Americlerkship made Drs sign in other to receive their service, a 30 pages long contract, where the refund policy is found in page number 22, violating CA law.

AS SUCH, MEMBER AGREES THAT REFUNDS DO NOT APPLY TO FINAL SALE PRODUCTS OR SERVICES SUCH AS CLINICAL BLOCKS, AND THAT HE/SHE IS NOT ENTITLED TO ANY REFUND OR CREDITS OR EXCHANGES IN CASE OF CANCELLATIONS OR NO-SHOWS OR ANY OTHER CHANGES CAUSED BY THE MEMBER, UNLESS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED IN WRITING BY AMS, SUCH AS CONDITIONALLY ENROLLED MEMBERS.

This means, that no matter what happens, even if is their fault, the instructor fault etc, they will not refund the money. WHAT MATTER WHAT SITUATION IS IN QUESTION!!!!!

DO NOT FALL INTO THEIR RAPPER HANDS!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You canceled an away rotation a month before the start date and they didn’t refund you. And they stated in the contract that if you canceled they would not refund you.

What’s the problem here?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think this deceptive way to make business is honest and fair? You think is just right to no refund 13,000 USD just because they had administrative expenses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah dude, you cancelled your rotation on short notice when it will be difficult for them to find another student to fill that slot. People were depending on you to do and pay for that rotation. What you did wasn't fair to that company/hospital, though I certainly don't blame you for pulling out given that you found a residency placement. It says what the consequences are in the contract. You signed it and made your choice. It sucks but that's how it goes. Get a contract lawyer next time around.

I want to make clear a couple of facts here:
First, I did not cancel with short notice, I did cancel the externship with more than two months from the starting date.
Second, If I wouldn't purchase the service, the company (not the hospital ) wouldn't receive any payment in the first place, so how canceling the externship make them lose money?????
I do complain because Americlerkship pushed me no only to sign an undisclosed contract, but make the payment in full, at first I was going to make a partial payment (just to reserve the spot) but they inundated my inbox with emails and text messages stating that they will charge me 20% extra if I choose to make payment partially (so 13000 + 20%=15600). I would like to know what would you do in this situation.......
I also complain about their lack of professionalism, poor customer services, and unfair business practices.
I agree that the reservation of the spot, along with the administrative expenses represent a loss for the company (I am willing to pay this), and the 100% the cost of the service. In other hands, they can not refuse to make a refund just because they couldn't find someone to fill the spot (who assure you that they couldn't ???)

You signed a desperate contract, you lose the money fair and square

But you have a residency, you win

They would have likely found another student to do that rotation, which as I said is difficult to do on short notice, so yeah, if that spot went unfilled because you cancelled, then they would have lost money otherwise.

They had the slot held for me for about a month, after that they had an entire two months to fill the slot, as you said before.....(They would have likely found another student to do that rotation)....... if they were able to find one in less than a month, is more than likely that can find more than one student in two months.
Second, you can't lose what you don't win, if I wouldn't make the payment for 13000 USD they would "lose" only the deposit (1689)> Now, because I made a payment in full they are loosing 13000. How can that be explained? How can your lost be calculated based on the amount paid? and not based on the resources invested???
I want you to explain the differences between this two situations:
Student 1: Paid 1689. Administrative expenses: 1689 USD. Length of reservation: 1 month. Company loses: 1689 USD
Student number 2: Paid 13000 USD. Administrative expenses: 1689 USD, Lenght of spot reservation: 1 Month. Company loses 13000
????????????????
I am not saying I did not sign the contract, I am saying they are alleging loses when they didn't. In other hands, the state of CA mandates that, in case of not refund, the policy MUST be discussed with the customer for consideration.

They had the slot held for me for about a month, after that they had an entire two months to fill the slot, as you said before.....(They would have likely found another student to do that rotation)....... if they were able to find one in less than a month, is more than likely that can find more than one student in two months.
Second, you can't lose what you don't win, if I wouldn't make the payment for 13000 USD they would "lose" only the deposit (1689)> Now, because I made a payment in full they are loosing 13000. How can that be explained? How can your lost be calculated based on the amount paid? and not based on the resources invested???
I want you to explain the differences between this two situations:
Student 1: Paid 1689. Administrative expenses: 1689 USD. Length of reservation: 1 month. Company loses: 1689 USD
Student number 2: Paid 13000 USD. Administrative expenses: 1689 USD, Lenght of spot reservation: 1 Month. Company loses 13000
????????????????
I am not saying I did not sign the contract, I am saying they are alleging loses when they didn't. In other hands, the state of CA mandates that, in case of not refund, the policy MUST be discussed with the customer for consideration.
They did discuss it, you just didn’t like it

The first situation does not exist, though. The company doesn't JUST lose the administrative fees for the student to sign up for the clerkship. They were depending on filling that slot for their operating budget. Now they have to invest more time and money to find another student to fill that slot, and if they don't, that takes a hit on their profit margin. And if both student number 1 and student number 2 signed a contract stating there were no refunds if they pulled out, and student 2 elected to pay the entire cost up front rather than hedging his bets and just paying enough to reserve the spot...too bad. Again, you knew what you were getting into.

Judging your way of describing the problem with such subtle detail, I would say that you know the company too well. Who knows, it is well known that Americlerkship is very active in social media.
In any case, whether or not you are related, I am going to tell you the following: first I do not agree with your statement, and second, I will not stop sharing my opinion and feedback about my experience with Americlerkship.
Final point.