Americorps - Is it strongly preferred you are full time? (Financial concerns)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to do Americorps in my gap year. I think I have found a position. They asked if I preferred part-time or full-time. I really want to do full-time Americorps, but I need the time to work a regular job to make ends meet. So, I think what would work best for me financially would be 0.25 Americorps and 0.75 other job. I could swing half 'n' half if needed but it's tight. This was also a place I used to volunteer, so I would do those same things I did as a volunteer plus some additional responsibilities.

Is it the type of thing where Americorps loses some of its effect on an application if you aren't full-time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to do Americorps in my gap year. I think I have found a position. They asked if I preferred part-time or full-time. I really want to do full-time Americorps, but I need the time to work a regular job to make ends meet. So, I think what would work best for me financially would be 0.25 Americorps and 0.75 other job. I could swing half 'n' half if needed but it's tight. This was also a place I used to volunteer, so I would do those same things I did as a volunteer plus some additional responsibilities.

Is it the type of thing where Americorps loses some of its effect on an application if you aren't full-time?
It depends on what you're doing IMO. It depends how much non-clinical service-orientated experience you have before this. Aside from that, I don't recall many faculty having issues if you do Americorps full-time or part-time if it is allowed.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what you're doing IMO. It depends how much non-clinical service-orientated experience you have before this. Aside from that, I don't recall many faculty having issues if you do Americorps full-time or part-time if it is allowed.

Thank you!

This is actually the organization where I got quite a bit of my non-clinical experience, which was tutoring adolescent boys incarcerated at a juvenille detention facility in reading and math. They also sponsor an Americorps position. I would still tutor but have increased responsibility (e.g. volunteer recruitment). They also said Americorps members can get involved in curriculum development, but I am not sure how much of a FTE you would have to be for that.

I have a lot of other miscellanous non-clinical experience, but the above is where I was with the same organization for a lot of hours (300 hours over 2 academic years). My other non-clinical experience is as follows. It's a little disjointed. I have about 500 total hours.

Last edited:
Thank you!

This is actually the organization where I got quite a bit of my non-clinical experience, which was tutoring adolescent boys incarcerated at a juvenille detention facility in reading and math. They also sponsor an Americorps position. I would still tutor but have increased responsibility (e.g. volunteer recruitment). They also said Americorps members can get involved in curriculum development, but I am not sure how much of a FTE you would have to be for that.

I have a lot of other miscellanous non-clinical experience, but the above is where I was with the same organization for a lot of hours (300 hours over 2 academic years). My other non-clinical experience is as follows. It's a little disjointed. I have about 500 total hours.

- 6 months as a co-facilitator of a support group for people with a family member in prison, usually an adult child (low hour)

- 1 year as a teacher's assistant for the baby sign language class with Gigi's Playhouse for speech delayed toddlers 18-36 months with Down Syndrome (low hour)

- 2 years childcare volunteering for a domestic violence shelter (low hour). I am also going to apply to their crisis line this summer. They got rid of the childcare volunteers unfortunately. This was sad because I really wanted to go back!

- 1 year miscellaneous through Catholic Charities (food bank, diaper bank, Meals on Wheels). Minimal direct interaction with clients
Ok. It's your discretion. You should be fine with service orientation either way.

Reactions: 1 user