1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Ameripath Salaries

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by pathER, Aug 11, 2006.

1. pathER

pathER Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just curious if those in practice have any idea what Ameripath is paying their docs in the various fields of path? I've read job ads that say competitive salary for Ameripath positions. True or False?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LADoc00

LADoc00 There is no substitute for victory.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Call em. Report back.

4. pathdoc68

pathdoc68 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    180K-200K in the midwest.

5. RyMcQ

RyMcQ Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Not competitive, unless that is starting salary. I would guess the average salary for a private group in the midwest would be in the range of 350-400K.

6. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    350-400K??? For a regular, non-partner, non-subspec pathologist? Perhaps I should move to the Midwest, then.... Sounds to me like somebody doubled up... :eek:

7. juddson

juddson 3K Member
    7+ Year Member

yea, struck me as high as well. I'm not pathologist, but those numbers seem to be about 100k higher than the salary surveys would suggest.

Judd

8. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They're not high. They're wrong. Those #'s could apply to Ameripath dermpaths. No way that could be the average for a standard run-of-the-mill surgical pathologist. In the Midwest or otherwhere.

9. pathER

pathER Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It seems that the going rate for a path grad (no fellowship) is 180-200K. With a fellowship the range is 200-300K. So in general the going rate for a pathologist is about 200K I guess. This seems to be the case for Ameripath as well. Which to me, seems like not a bad gig considering the benefits. Any thoughts on that? Obviously the down side is you work for the beast.

10. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For me, the major downside to places like Ameripath - well, Ameripath in particular - is not that the pay is bad, but that most docs there look at insane numbers of cases. I simply find it a grinding machine.

11. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I dunno. Some people just really like looking at lots of cases, and that kind of job can appeal to them.

12. pathER

pathER Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you say insane # of cases, does that mean they work insane hrs as well. What amount of cases and what kind of work hrs are we talking here?

13. yaah

yaah Boring
    Administrator Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It's not a sweat shop. There is some exaggeration and hyperbole involved - although many people who work for large labs have performance/volume incentives to get more cases signed out.

An insane number of cases usually means you are sitting at the scope looking at glass for many hours a day (perhaps 5-6?)

14. RyMcQ

RyMcQ Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

That would be the range for salary after partnership. Yeah, the starting salary at Ameripath might be remotely competitive, but it is a rip because without the possibility of partnership, you are losing on huge amounts of future money. You will, however, be earning huge amounts of jack for your boss.

Of the pathologists that came out of my fellowship program, many took jobs in the midwest with starting salaries around 225K + signing bonuses. Partnership easily adds 100K and probably much more after partnership. One job about 30 miles away had base salary of 240K... and then 100K per quarter for their bonuses. They worked their asses off and ran a bunch of podunk labs, but that's how much they made. They wanted a particular resident from my program so bad that they showed him their books. Are they the exception? Absolutely, but there are groups that make that much.

What surveys are you referring to? When I became a CAP fellow, they sent the results of their salary survey. I don't have the paper in front of me, but average salary across the country was at least in the high 200's.

You also have to consider that when people make gobs of money, they sometimes lie about how much they are making. I really think that some pathologists don't want people to know how much they make because patholgists could always be targeted for cutting back reimbursement.

15. Epstein

Epstein Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not going to put the exact numbers because they are meant for CAP members only. Here is some general info from the CAP Practice Characteristics Survey Report.

Mean and median 2003 salary for all comers (partner and not) in a private group practice is around 300K.

Mean salary by region (highest to lowest):

East coast (except NY, NJ, and New England)
    Midwest
    West coast
    NY, NJ, and New England

The salaries are pretty close across the country, except for the NE where salaries are about 50K lower.

Groups with 6 to 10 members make the most money.

Salary is increasing steadily, about 3% per year.

Pathologists under 40 years of age average about 60K less than older pathologists.