State University physician clinical salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathology Clinical assistant professor at a state university makes annual total salary of

• 125K-150K

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 150K-175K

• 175K-200K

• 200K-225K

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 225K-250K

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 250K-275K

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 275K-300K

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >300K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at sites where they have a mandatory posting of the salaries of state university employees. When it comes to clinical assistant professor salaries for most of the clinical departments, they seem to be too low to me ($100-200K). So, I am thinking these must be base salaries, to which they add some clinical revenue sharing or something of that sort. Does anyone have an idea of what % that may be?

If orthopedic surgery department at a state university (for example, University of Michigan, see link below) is paying $200K to a clinical assistant professor, what would the actual salary be in your estimation? What about a pathology asst professor who is getting paid $125K base salary?

http://www.umsalary.info/titlesearch.php?Title=CLINICAL+ASST+PROF&Year=0&Campus=0

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the practice model and university policies. I've seen academic groups run an independent IHC lab and do consulting work which added on to the base pay. In the academic setting, I would not expect too many gain sharing perks.

Reactions: 1 user
There are tons of factors and there is no standard. Variables include location of the university, structure and model of employee relationship, if physicians are allowed to profit from consult services. Actual total compensation will be totally transparent some places, completely impossible to glean from these kinds of data sources at others.

In general, from my now-dated experience, Midwest academic jobs were around 200k, East coast and west coast were less (some places as low as 140k), NYC a little higher at 250k. Variance was like 50k at each place.